• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Hold Down

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
My father has a 92 XJ, and doesn't have a battery hold down. I have a 98 but they don't look the same, is there a difference? Where can I get one for his 92 other than a local JY?

Are the stock j-bolts there? If so you can go to the JY, or go to Napa and get a universal for under 10$

JY is too far away, and with work I don't have the time.
Looking at them side by side, looks like the previose owner cut the battery box to fit in a larger battery I guess...

So Other than the local JY...

Is there a place online that I can just order an OE battery tray and hold down?

theres really no xj-specific battery hold down that ive been able to find... ive recommended to a couple fab shops that they SHOULD MAKE THIS. as it would sell... i was forced to make my own, and it can be difficult to get it to fit right. sorry about the knee jerk reaction about the junkyard earlier... shouldve gone into detail why.

No biggy, The hard part is that he has an optima battery with the extra terminals... so I gatta make something that will work, and not touch them.

I'll get something wipped up tomorrow and post a pic.

You can probably find an L-shaped concrete bolt at the building and supply or hardware store. might take some heat to get he J shape. All-thread would work also.

it sounds like the problem is a lack of battery tray to attach the rear J hook through. I'd look farther down into the engine compartment for a suitable location and create a longer J hook if you can-- all thread is sufficient.

If worse comes to worst, a replacement tray should solve the problem without any new holes being drilled into the "frame" rail.

Once you've got a method to secure the battery, cover the J hook that's close to the side terminal on the Optima with fuel hose and it will be insulated against shorting to ground.

Back