• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 classic p0455 CEL

ryanwscott

NAXJA Forum User
i got a great deal on a 2000 classic the best damm color "green" tan inside but i bought it wth code p0455 it runs great idle is great. on cold starts i can smell fuel everywhere then it goes away. i get about 8-9mpg with the ac on i gas cap looks fine gasket is good but my buddy with a 97 wanted to test the cap so we put his on mine and it fit but mine on his did not kinda wierd. also one of my injectors looks bloated and cracked but it does not leak that i know of.

P0455 - EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)
You have a large leak somewhere in the evap system. Check for cracked vacuum lines, lines that are loose, especially on the side of the intake manifold, where the heat gets to them.
The lines run all the way back to the fuel tank, pump and evap canister.
Auto shops use a smoke machine to blow low pressure smoke into the system to show the location of the leak. Not having a smoke machine, I use low pressure air, about 5psi, to pressurize the system and then use soapy water to locate the leak.

The vacuum pump could also be bad but, in my experience, this isn't common. As mentioned before, the fuel cap is a common fault.
A Factory FSM is recommended as an aid to knowing where and what all the lines go and do.

Also check the vacuum lines around the battery. The acid from the battery tends to corrode them pretty bad also.

I had that code on my 2001 and it was a cracked hose joint at the evaorative emissions canister, or whatever it is called, back by the fuel tank.

Back