• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic balancer? or belt noob?

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
first i have to vent and just say we had belt technology perfected back in the 1700's and probably even earlier. and here i am 200 - 300 years later with belt issues... is so nice to see how far back in technology we can go as we "progress" this world was a lot smarter before we invented engineers

end rant

so now my issue, last weekend, i was out. started the jeep, and heard a high pitched squealing, i shut it off, started it again, and it was the same, then stopped, started driving and noticed my temp gauge climbing. pulled over, and snapped belt.. fun fun...

so his weekend i plan on doing some wrenching, replacing exhaust manifold, motor mounts, and transmission mount,. few other small things.

so i get my new belt on, and is squealing like mad, i figure is cause of high draw to alternator, rev it up a bit, and does not stop.. i go to look at what is causing it, and see that the belt is not spinning, but the harmonic balancer is actually spinning on a belt killing a brand new 20 dollar belt. so i try a used one thinking i over tightened it. and have same issue, only this time i leave it loose, and while is running as soon as i pul just the tightest bit of pressure to it, i get the high pitched squal again. never in my life have i seen such a poorly deigned belt system, chrysler should be ashamed of themselves..

and btw this is on a 99 xj

update i are nub, frozen ac pump... down to the parts bin in the barn.... just needed time to rant before i found the problem, lol.

i can't be;ieve i missed that.... i are ashamed.... back to wrenching...

Back