• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 hp question

olliewagon

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 auto dana 30 hp front 8.25 rear . I just noticed the front axle shafts are different than my brothers 98 .The yoke on the end of shaft seems to be splinded and may a two piece shaft .Also the u joints seem smaller , my question is what do i have?. I bought the factory manuals and can not find any info , thought i would just ask . thanks

Do you know the full history of your "96 4.0 auto dana 30 hp front 8.25 rear" XJ? What you describe sounds like it could be an earlier D30 that used smaller U-joints. The "splined" section sounds like the ABS toner ring (~4" diameter disc, 1" wide, pressed just inboard of the inner axleshaft yoke). The ABS was never offered with the 8.25 rear, thats why I'm wondering if the entire D30 or maybe just the shafts were swapped over to your XJ. The 96 D30 should be non-disconnect (one piece passenger shaft). Check the passenger side axle tube under the UCA mount. If its a disconnect axle, there will be a huge casting under the UCA mount.

If you have a D30 with a vacuum disconnect and the smaller 260 U joints then the differential is from a '90 and earlier XJ.
The D30 that is supposed to come with your year XJ should have the larger 297 U joints.
Apparently the previous owner had problems with the original D30.

Last edited:
Back