• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any OBD II Gurus? P1694 Question...

philthyphil

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ 4.0 AW4 4x4 89k miles (most elec. parts on it are for 97 model yr.)

Cant pass smog due to P1694 problem code. This Jeep was screwed by some "mechanic" at some point in its life.. it wont pass smog and had all kinds of other issues. but has very low miles and is super clean. so i don't want to give up on it. I just need some help. Is there something I'm forgetting to check? Any ideas? And does anybody have a link to a wiring diagram? I have all the wiring harnesses opened up and there are some shotty looking splices in there. Under the dash wiring has all kinds of really tight shrink wrapped and soldered wire splices, is this factory? So heres a list of what Ive done so far...
:Changed cps. it died on me when it got hot the first time going home
:Ohmed out cps between b and c pins just to make sure i didn't get a bad replacement
:Changed nss, not only did the reverse lights not work, but some one spliced in an earlier style nss that had too few wires that were all the wrong color.
:Adjusted nss
:Ohmed out both the black/white, purple/brown wires between ECM and Tcm..both had very low to no resistance (within the range).
:Opened all wiring harnesses. repaired some damage and bad splices.
:Inspected all pins on ecm and tcm connectors, and on the bulk head connectors that bolt together under the dash.
:Swapped out TCM just to make sure its not the issue.

Any ideas anyone. Sorry if i rambled on but I ve been racking my brain and spending tons of time on this blueish purple xj of mine. Thank you

Back