• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu 5" lift

broke xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a newer xj and I wanted a 6" lift or higher. Im thinking of going to the 33" route (thinking that it is not a huge difference from the 35").

Does anybody have the 5" emu lift with pics and will 33's be ok as far as a gap between the tires and fenders?

Im fairly new so I appreciate all the help

i have a pieced together lift that was orginaly 5.5" but has sagged in the rear and weighed down in the front and i run 33 x 10.5 superswamper tsl's it sits at about 5" now and i have no rubbing issues except at full lock turning left but thats a different problem. also i have stock bumpstops

5" lift with 33's will be fine but you may need different wheels if the tires you get are too wide.

i want the 6" they are coming out with but they don't know when yet :( thats why i have been debating RC 6.5 and EMU 5". I know I want 33's. And I'd rather have old man emu 6", but i don't think they will have it in time for me when I am buying one.

Is there a reason you are going with a 5-6"? if you just want that size then go for it, but you dont need that size lift to fit a 33/35.

i have the 3.5" with 33's, ill try and grab a few photos. 6.5 is a little over kill for only 33's. you can easily run 35's on a 3.5-4.5" lift. Im gong to have my brother email a few pics and ill post them up in a few.

Here is a pic before trimming.
IMG_20110905_135011.jpg

Here is one after trimming (it is cleaned up now, actually looks decent lol)
IMG_20110906_173454.jpg

That is the DPG/OME 3.5 ultimate kit. I'd call Dirk at DPG and he can help you out alot when choosing parts for your lift.

No need to run that high of a lift to clear 33's. Just go with ~4.5" and cut to fit the tires. Much fewer problems.

I ran 33's on a two inch lift before, now i'm running about 4 inches of lift on 35's. Then again, my fenders are trimmed. If you don't want to cut into it just yet, i'd suggest about a four or five inch lift on 33's. That way when you get the bug you can trim the fenders and shove some big tires under it.

i have maybe a little over 3" of lift and I could clear 33's easy as is and 35's with minor trimming

i know a 5" lift will be fine with 33s but i was also thinking to buy the long arm later on when i have the $$$ for the articulation..... If I don't like the short arm

i hear old man emu's are one of the best so that is why I was asking. Though I also heard that RC has improved dramatically. still towards emu.

OME is definitely a good kit. But I think theyre overpriced for what you get. Ive never dealt with either companies personally before, minus RC's customer service for a friend, but from what Ive heard from friends who run RC stuff, their warranty program takes the cake. Always helpful and their stuff has taken a huge turn in the right direction over the last few years. I think youd get more bang for your buck with them and you can even upgrade to long arms with their kits later on down the road.

my 2¢

Ok than can you explain this?? Am I reading it wrong ?? http://www.rocky-road.com/xjtrailblazer.html

Up front that lift uses ZJ OME 934 coils to give you about 3" lift. The other 2'" of lift is gained from spacers. In the back it uses leafs that give about 3" lift, 6" shackles and a small spacer block to get to 5" total lift. I ran this setup for a while and it rode great, but I've swapped a few pieces out that have made a big improvement.

Added the HD Offroad shackle relocation bracket and went back to the stock shackle. Rides MUCH better this way and flexes more. The shackle previously was standing vertical. Planning on swapping out the ZJ coils and spacers for a true 5.5" spring as well.

I run 33" tires no prob, but the fenders are pretty heavily trimmed.

yea, i knew it had spacers and such. thank you for clearing that out with the 33" tires with heavy trimming. much appreciated

Back