• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring gang switches

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 4 gang switch plate for accessories on the MJ Pioneer. It has wiring for accessies I don't have but there are no switches on the dash. Fogs, O.R. lights, powered outlet, mini compressor etc.

It came with the ground wires hooked up to a single wire, each diving into it's respective 3 prong (they're lighted switches) switch.

My question is: Can I wire the power wires from each of the 4 relays (pin 85) be wired in the same way or do I have to send 1 wire (from the respective relay) to each switch?

AND...can the power wire TO the relays (pin 30) all be on the same wire, wired in a line

Last edited:
You'll want to add up the maximum current that all four relays will be handling combined and size the single power wire accordingly. Then yes, you can run a single wire to the relays. I think you're confused on the pins though. Either that or I'm confused. 85 or 86 is referred to as the trigger, not the power wire. And that circuit draws very little current, so unless you're using magnet wire, you'll be ok to run a single wire to those too.

Did that make any sense?

Did that make any sense?

At least or more than my post...I can't think...it's 102+ here today. From the diagram I have:

30 is power from + battery
85 is to/from powered & grounded switch from fuse panel
86 is ground
87 is to accessory

All the grounds to the relays are grounded with one wire, as are the switches.

If I have the right size wire can I provide power (pin 30)to all the relays at once with one wire thru a 40A breaker....

10 ga from batt to circuit breaker. 14 from breaker to different accessories. E-fan on it's own relay and switch.

Panel runs police spot light, fogs (K.C.'s), mini air, O.R. Lights (2 Hellas).

12VDC_wire_gauge_chart1218640020.jpg

Depends on the wattage of your lights. Add up their wattage then divide by 12, that'll be your current. Then apply that to the chart and don't be afraid to go a size larger just to be safe.

12VDC_wire_gauge_chart1218640020.jpg

Depends on the wattage of your lights. Add up their wattage then divide by 12, that'll be your current. Then apply that to the chart and don't be afraid to go a size larger just to be safe.

Perfect!!
Thanks for the chart. And I agree to err on the larger size. I'll go and sweat some more tomorrow. It's beer 30. Thanks again.:cheers:

Back