• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

right front dana 30 4wd axle shaft requires replacement?

The only areas that really matter are the splines, the threads, and the seal surfaces. I use would use that one.

Splines are clean, inner seal surface is smooth, I'd run it. Only areas of concern are the u-joint, and if you later decide to get the Alloy tube seals there may be too much pitting under the rust. Go get one of these if you want to clean it up some.

"make sure the U-joint is decent too"

have the Super Strong PRECISION Part # 371

not sure of the difference between these and the less expensive Federated 371 ...?

the Precision 371's are non-greasable ... come with a yellow color grease installed in their caps ..

Last edited:
Splines are clean, inner seal surface is smooth, I'd run it. Only areas of concern are the u-joint, and if you later decide to get the Alloy tube seals there may be too much pitting under the rust. Go get one of these if you want to clean it up some.

.. the rusted part of the shaft i suppose could be painted ...

I have a rust inhibitor paint that is suppose to make rust completely inert
(Better grade paints and good rust inhibitor paints most often can be found in marine stores) ... also surplus military grade epoxy paint ... has a very long shelf life ... still good after sitting on a shelf for over 20 years .. for sub zero to high temperatures ~350+ deg.

Last edited:
Re: right front dana 30 axle replacements - brands.

I may replace it anyway and use it as a spare ..

What are some good sources for Jeep axles?

There are many different brands ... plus OEMs from salvage yards ..

Last edited:
Re: right front dana 30 axle & Timken bearings

Replaced the u-joint on the shaft, shaft assembly is 100 percent better than it was ... would still like to find a better replacement ...

Also replacing the wheel hub bearings ... does anyone know if the Mopar OEMs are any better than e.g. Timken ... ?

Last edited:

...wheel hub bearings .... does anyone know if the Mopar OEMs are any better than e.g. Timken ... ?

Mopar hubs cost 3x more than a Timken. They are not 3x better.

Timken are proven to be nearly as good as, or as good as, original Jeep hubs.

If you are looking for a "better" axle shaft, stop by the junkyard and pull a few. Bring home the best one. A little surface rust isn't going to hurt an axle shaft.

Mopar hubs cost 3x more than a Timken. They are not 3x better.

Timken are proven to be nearly as good as, or as good as, original Jeep hubs.

If you are looking for a "better" axle shaft, stop by the junkyard and pull a few. Bring home the best one. A little surface rust isn't going to hurt an axle shaft.

The local yard use to have quite a few jeeps, some which were from the buy-back - rebate program, was a shame as after 90 days all went to the crusher ... now I think there is only one older Jeep left in the yard .. (parts for later model Jeeps at least in this particular area are harder to find) ...

___

Ebay has OEMs for a few dollars more .. .seller says his parts are the same as sold by the dealer ...

I think OEMs sometimes outsource certain types of parts .. which may (or may not) be built to their own specifications and quality control ... and increase overall cost.

SKF site shows they are a producer for OEMs .. Timken may be as well ...

Back