• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Disconnects Pin Breaking

Samson04

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys,98xj, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, with 3 1/2" Skyjacker lift, 190K+ miles. This jeep was lifted when I bought it and it also had quick disconnects for the front control arms. I have only had them out a handful of times since I have owned the jeep (4 years or so). About 3 weeks ago, I notice poor handling especially when turning left and some popping under the front end that sounds like someone smacked it with a 5 lb sledge. I climb under the jeep and notice that the lower pin holding in the disconnect is missing. I had a spare in the glove box so no big. A couple of days later the same thing happened and again the SAME pin missing. This has happened 3 times in 2 weeks. What is causing this issue? Same pin every time. Could this be a u-joint issue?

I should note that this is a DD and very seldom off road. Seems like something is binding and the pin is the weakest link. Thanks in advance for the help!

I am assuming that you're talking about a quick disconnect for the front sway bar. A good place to start is jack up one front wheel (the side that's spitting out the clip) and try to rock it back and forth. If you have worn out parts in your front suspension or steering, you'll feel looseness (slop). Assuming that you do find "slop", get someone to help you locate the problem (ball joints, suspension bushings, bent or broken brackets, loose or missing fasteners, wheel bearings, u-joints, shocks) while you rock the wheel.

What kind of quick disconnect? Seems that the pins are "locked" in in some fashion and shouldn't be able to just come out on their own.

This the kind of pin that is in it. They shouldn't just come out. I think they may be breaking. It is the sway bar disconnects. I'm pretty sure that the ball joints are good as I just checked them while servicing the brakes less than a month ago. If the sway bar bushing are worn, would that cause this?

Sorry, tried to copy an image and it didn't work. They are standard "snapper pins".

Buy better pins or better disconnects. Try some BDS quicker disconnects.

I'm pretty sure the disconnects are fine, they have been on the truck for at least 4 years and no problems. I believe something is worn out or broke and causing the pins to shear off. I will check the trackbar tonight. I only had a few extra minutes last night so I jacked up the front end and checked the ball joints for any play and all seems tight. I did notice that there seems to be some movement in the sway bar bushings. Any suggestions on what to buy to replace?

Pics would help!

look on the disco....are there any grinding marks? I ask because since it is lifted the steering is at a higher angle and may be contacting the disco pin and pushing it out enough to slowly work its way all the way out. Yup has happened to me

but post a pic of the area to give us a better idea what you are looking at

Back