• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still more LED Blinker problems.

aintright

NAXJA Forum User
ok so first of i've been searching for a little bit and have tried many of the fixes i've found. but none seem to solve my problem.

after hooking up 4 leds in the rear (2 tail/stop/turn and 2 reverse) my turn signals won't work. but it's only my turn signals. hazards work fine front and rear. reverse lights work. one odd thing is that when my head lights are on my hazards have a strange blink. the alternate between my turn signal lights and my running lights, but when my head lights are off they blink in unison. The rears blink just fine with or w/o the headlights on. oh and my brake lights work as well with and w/o the headlights on.

things i've done so far...
1. checked for shorts - i've traced every wire from the lights to the ecu
2. checked all grounds - i even added an extra ground and they all have good metal to metal contact
3. installed the ep27 relay
4. wired in two 20w 8ohm resistors to the stop/turn wire on the leds

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I had a similar problem with my LED's. I could not get them to blink. I bought my LED's from Auto Lumination. After contacting them with the problem, they told me that the problem was my flasher unit. My Cherokee had a thermo flasher. I went to Autozone & bought a Tridon Electro mechanical flasher & problem solved. Cherokees have 2 flashers, 1 for turns & 1 for hazards. The flasher I bought cost about $9.00. Good Luck!

i have a wiring diagram from the fsm.

was that tridon electro/mech flasher a two prong one. i did see that under there but didn't see any of the right colored wires going to it. thanks for the heads up.
any part number for it?

I know what your dealing with, no worries I've been there. Your xj thinks it has a blown fuse because the led's take such a low amp draw. You need to install these to make led's work.http://www.customled.com/products/load_equalizer/load_equalizer.htm....Hook these up to the stop/turn/tail and they equalize the amp load and "trick" your xj into thinking everything is fine, get the stageII though because stageI is for bikes. Hope this helps, it did for me. BTW, you splice these into your ground and other two wires, if your just putting led bulbs into the stock housings your going to need four altogether, if you have led light fixtures with modified housings you have to splice the turn/tail/stops together then splice the load equalizer into the mix before it reaches the light. Also, as for the resistors you added I do not believe they are equivalent to what I am showing you but I may be wrong, all I know is that these work and you don't need a trailer adapter or a new flasher unit for these to help. I hope this makes sense and best of luck.

thanks for the heads up flazz85. but the page isn't there. i'll check out the site and see if i can find them.

so i got the el12 flasher relay and my turn signals work up front... however the left turn signal does nothing in the rear and when i turn the right turn signal on both the left and right rear lights flash.

my hazards still work fine with the lights on or off.

i did take out the resistors to see if that helped. it did nothing. so i just left them out.

This is what I used. Worked first try, no problems. No need for extra resistors/etc, just had to swap out my flasher relay to an electronic one (~5$ at the auto parts store). For some reason this is the only converter that works for what you need it to. The ones from advance/autozone/napa/etc have been tried and dont work.

http://www.towready.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1500&catID=1545&part=119130

If you decide to get this, check ebay first. I got mine for about 1/2 the price they're asking from towready.

how would i wire that into my lights? during the chop i cut about 4 inches out of the back of the jeep including the rear crossmember. it was all redone but the wires for the pass. side run the length of the bed and inside the cab.

i'm trying to source som 25w resistors locally but haven't had any luck yet. if i don't find them buy tuesday i'll just order them

thanks for the info

You basically just take the factory wires for your brake lights and turn signals and wire them into the "input" leads on the the converter. The "output" leads from the converter give you the correct setup for S/T/T lights. Its honestly an easy system to setup.

Reverse lights just get wired directly to the lights.

xjchris, the only problem with that is my wiring isn't really stock. after i chopped the top i had to cut out all the plugs and redo the harness. so it sounds like i'd have to wire this in-cab somewhere near the kick panel on the driver side?

i'll still take a look into that before i order anything.

just ordered the resistors from custom led. i'll report back here after they arrive and i install them.

thanks again everyone for the info

so i just installed the customled.com stage two load equalizers. they did not fix the problem.

i followed the direction and wired them up as they should be and still no fixed. tried their trouble shooting tips, which didn't work. i sent them an email asking them for some help.

just waiting to hear back from them

That sucks to hear about your issues. The only issue I had was when I tried replacing the front blinkers. Then I would get the 'burnt bulb' rapid blinker. The only drawback I got was while using my blinkers my center brake light would blink brightly while my left and right brake lights would dimly pulse with the blinker. ^_^ I just considered it a attention getting bonus. I may have been lucky when I replaced my blinker relay some time ago with some random autozone one that doesn't care if I have leds or incandescent. Wish you the best of luck with your issues. Once they work properly will be a noticeable improvement. :)

I used two of the tow-ready harnesses as well. Everything worked fine with each side having a STT, side marker and reverse light.

When I was first doing the wiring, I couldn't get the lights to work correctly after going over them a million times. They were super dim and barely blinked. Turned out my battery was going dead and could barely power the LEDs.

i thought about the tow ready option. but i had to cut out most of the factory wiring harness after i chopped the top. i know i have all the wires properly wired. the one thing i haven't done is add more grounds. i thought one big one would be enough. but i'm going to add two more right near the tail lights themselves.

and customled.com got back to me right away about my issues. no answer yet though, i didn't supply the proper info. but they were still quick about it. so far i'm pleased with my purchase, even if it didn't help my issue.

so my turn signals work and flash at the proper speed now.

gotta love when there are 3 different colored wires for one turn signal. so it seemed that i miss read the factory wiring diagram and didn't follow the wires all the way to the relay switch. once i stared at the diagram for an hour or so i finally found what color wire i needed to splice into.

for anyone who is going to be replacing their stock tail lights with leds i suggest just getting this to start with http://www.towready.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1500&catID=1545&part=119130

it makes life much easier as long as you know what color wire you are splicing into and where you are splicing into it on the wiring harness.

if your turn signals and hazards are flashing really fast then you want to get an ep27 hd led turn signal relay and an el12 electro mech. hazard relay.

Back