• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 cherokee electrical problems

bfann1

NAXJA Forum User
i just got a 1993 cherokee and just noticed today that it is having electrical problems. when i have my radio on while driving and brake the radio cuts off and then comes back on. then when i take my foot off the brake it cuts off again and comes back on. also when i brake my running lights in the front come on untill i stop pressing the brake. anyone have any ideas how to fix this? thanks

Probably a wire rubbing itself and creating a spurious ground, or else a loose connection. You've just got to follow all the wires and check connections, cable runs and also look for anything rubbing, cracked or loose.

yeah i havnt got a chance to do that yet but im going to do that as soon as i can. other than that it drives fine. i did notice that in one of the relay for the abs in the fuse box is missing and in its place there is a single wire connecting the ports where the relay is susposed to be pluged in. i havnt went and bought another relay yet so i have not messed with that. would that have anything to do with the other problems?

well i know that the abs light is on and hasnt went off but there isnt anything wrong with the abs due to the fact that the tires wont lock up even in the rain. also with the fog lights i havnt noticed that they come on whenever the jeep is running even at night so im not sure what to do first. lol i think that the best thing to do is to follow the wires like you said and see if i can find the problem.

turns out that it was my right rear brake light was out and since i have the country edition with abs it made all of thoes other problems happen. pulled the old bulb out and the po replaced the stock plug with the wrong one so i fixed that and all of them problems went away.

Back