• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silver Star - Grouse Vista: 9-7-11

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Had the day off, and felt the need to clean out the system after the past couple weekends. What better way than a hike on a 90+ degree day.

Possibly bad idea #1 for the day. Leaving at 11:00 when it's already above 90. NBD right?
P1060098.jpg

Driving up the 1200rd, Pyramid Rock comes into view. The trail goes just under the base of it.
P1060100.jpg

Even though most of the trail is located on GPNF land, you still need a Discovery Pass to get to the trail head and park your vehicle (DNR land).
P1060103.jpg

Route for today is via the Grouse Vista trail up to the Silver Star Summit. About six miles round trip.
P1060105.jpg

Only one at the trail head, and didn't see a single person the entire day. Pretty cool to have the whole mountain to yourself.
P1060186.jpg

The trail basically comes in three sections. Steep climb for the first mile, semi level climb up the ridge side, and then another decent climb through the trees to the summit. The first section definitely pops the thermostat quick.
P1060106.jpg

Daylight through the trees is always promising as this is where it levels out.
P1060108.jpg

From the left, Sturgeon Rock, Silver Star twin summits, and Pyramid Rock. The trail hugs the ridge side pretty much all the way to the top.
P1060114.jpg

Base of Pyramid Rock ~3500ft.
P1060120.jpg

Looking back. It was a gorgeous day, with great visibilty. Only down side was the east wind on the ridge was bringing the smoke from the wild fires with it.
P1060122.jpg

P1060130.jpg

Sturgeon Rock.
P1060137.jpg

Near the summit trail junction I noticed something out of place down in the trees. After some investigating off trail I found this. Ice cold spring water was a refresher.
P1060138.jpg

Silver Star summit.
P1060144.jpg

Success.
P1060157.jpg

Looking North off the summit at Ed's Trail.
P1060147.jpg

I spent a good 45 minutes on the summit. Didn't run into anyone else, and the only other sign of life was the distant call of a Pika. I decided to do some exploring on the way down. Took the trail off the second summit down.
P1060160.jpg

Huckleberries were out in numbers.
P1060162.jpg

After taking the trail down for a ways I got bored, and decided to get back on top of the ridge line. Of course I had to pick the stupidest route possible. Bad idea #2.
P1060166.jpg

Luckily, I managed not to tumble down the hill, or get trapped and have to amputate a limb. Found this up in the rocks, not sure if it's been there 1 year or 1000. "Indian Pits" like this are common around the area.
P1060174.jpg

Managed to fall in a mountain beaver hole. Did not find the home owner.
P1060176.jpg

Stepped on a massive ants nest.
P1060177.jpg

Eventually I found myself at the base of Pyramid Rock.
P1060178.jpg

May as well climb it. Pretty decent view from the top.
P1060179.jpg

The main trail was still below me, so I continued to scramble down.
P1060182.jpg

After burning a bunch of time on the ridge, I stuck to the trail the rest of the way down. All in all, good hike.

I'm thinking the next route is going to be the Grouse Vista, Sturgeon, Tarbell loop. Any takers?

To be young again would be great. It don't bother you to be out there all alone? Have you ever thought what would happen if you had to chew your leg off?

I use to do the same thing and it was fun.

Dave

Cherokees are for children. Grown ups save and get wranglers. Im tired of being childish.

What about bear spiders Dustin? DAMNIT DON'T YOU THINK?!?

I would be interested in the Tarbell Falls loop though...

I'm doing the Tarbell Loop tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. ;)
Check.

Tarbell portion was kind of boring. Flat wooded trail for three miles. Sturgeon trail was brutal. Climbed Sturgeon Rock once we got to the top. That was impressive. Continued onto Silver Star summit, and down Grouse Vista. About 8 miles total, not a bad day on the mountain.

Back