• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota rear axle?

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So after talking to my uncle for a little bit i convinced him to give me a toyota fj60 rear axle for free (complete). at the time i was just going to sell it but then i started looking into it and found that i can make it a full float axle and it is pure beef. With a 9.5 inch ring gear and shafts the same size if not slightly bigger than a dana 60. Has anyone put one of these in their rig before and if so could i have some advise as to what to do.

Thanks
Garrett

It's pretty straightforward to put any axle under these.

1. Measure the width, if it's wide enough, continue.
2. Is the diff centered? If so, continue.
3. Buy spring perches
4. Measure
5. Measure
6. Install

....maybe measure one more time before installing. :)

currently the axle is an offset one, but i have a write up on how to make it the same width as a centered toyota rear (58 wms) and another one on how to convert it to full float. it will take some fab and some custom axle shafts but if i can get it done it will be one beefy axle

Ouch, that's going to be a lot of work and a lot of $$$. Unless you're planning to run 44" tires on your Jeep, why not sell it and use the money for a set of Waggy axles?

Ouch, that's going to be a lot of work and a lot of $$$. Unless you're planning to run 44" tires on your Jeep, why not sell it and use the money for a set of Waggy axles?

Because building a set of 44's is gonna cost more than building one yota axle.

Go with a Tacoma axle without the e-locker. They are centered, and beefy. I couldn't break mine with a 4.3vortec dual cases and 38.5 sx's. My brother runs one now in an fj40 behind a healthy 350.

I think I even have a set of adapters laying around that go from 6 lug toyota pattern down to 5 on 4.5 jeep wheels.

You can get ARB's, lock rites whatever for that axle too.

Well of course, but spending a boatload of money on a rear axle doesn't change the fact that you still only have a D30 up front!

I'm just saying, if money is an issue (it was when i was 16), i would rather have two decent axles than one bulletproof one.

Those axles are beefy, but narrow. I think your better off selling it or trading it for a Tacoma axle. They are 60"wms to wms which is the same as your XJ. Then get a waggy 44 for the front and you'll have a matching bolt pattern.

Back