• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Anti seize on Ball Joints

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if it's common practice to use Anti-seize compound on Ball Joints and other steering components such as ti rod ends, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

I do... you want to make sure you dont slop it on, and when you TQ down the bolts there is a different rating to TQ down when "wet" vs "dry".

All the nuts have castle nuts with cotter pins, so IMHO it will be fine...

I do it all the time.

With u-joints as well, and especially where hub bearings slide into the knuckles.

People give me crap about it, but I've never had a failure.

Hi MM:

Yes, I've been using it on U-Joints for years too and that's why I was wondering about whether it can be used on the ball joints.

Thanks for your note.

don't use it on surfaces that move often.

its ok for bolts and ease of installation though

nope. you are good there.

ya don't use it on things like brake caliper slide pins or for u-joint grease. theres fine metal particles in anti sieze and itll actually sieze up after a while

I don't think where the ball joints go into the knuckles move at all do they?
That's the point. A ball joint should *NOT* spin. Even with a fairly liberal use of anti-seize compound, the ball portion should still turn far more easily than the tapered portion.

Just wondering if it's common practice to use Anti-seize compound on Ball Joints and other steering components such as ti rod ends, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

On the tapers? Do it all the time. On the adjuster threads? No trouble.

On the clamp screws and stud nuts? You can - just reduce the install torque by half if/when you do (the reduced friction between the mating threads due to the application of lubricant means you don't have to "turn" the thing as hard to get the same "pull" - in technical terms, "Reduced applied torque will accomplish the same amount of tensile preload in the bolted joint.")

"Wet" torque requirements for normally "clean, dry" threads varies according to lubricant used.

Back