• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal Strap - Rubber Sleeve Rear Driveshaft

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a special tool for crimping on the metal strap around the rubber sleeve where the rear driveshaft enters the TC. If I pull out the rear driveshaft will I need to drain the TC. 2001 XJ, AW4, I6 4.0, A/C

No fluid will leak out on the late t-case and I wouldn't even worry about the boot.

Yes there is, but a zip tie is cheaper. 1996-01 the rear output is sealed and you don't have leakage with the drive shaft removed.

I've always used a zip tie, but I actually did buy some metal straps last time I was at the store and will probably use a wire cutter like Milford said. You can buy a special tool for it, it's fairly similar to the ones used for clamps on PEX tubing for radiant floor heating.

For 'average use' (if there is such a thing) what's the typical interval to re-grease the splines?

Don't mean to or want to hijack the thread, just curious what others' experience is with the post '96 design.

I talked to Tom Woods last month when I bought a replacement boot. He said the metal strap requires a $120 tool but the zip ties he included in the package are more than adequate.

Back