• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP or I'm gonna blow it up!!!

frothyworld102

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I have a '99 4.0 Auto....I've been having this ongoing issue with stuttering. Last month as I was driving down the road the Jeep just died on me. Waited a little while and it started right up....classic CPS issues. CEL finally came on and sure enough it was the CPS. So I replaced the CPS and it ran fine....for a couple of weeks. I'm getting a stuttering like I did when I had issues with the CPS. The CEL was on with a cam position sensor/timing code. I then changed out the ignition coil pickup, and the problem went away for about a week. The CEL is BACK on with the same code ans the same stuttering problems. I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, CPS, coil pickup....I'm lost and I REALLY dont want to change a timing chain. Any other suggestions???

If the computer cannot see the CPS that is the same as a faulty CPS.

Inspect the CPS wires and wires connectors for corrosion, loose connections or wire pins, and damaged or chafed insulation. The CPS and ALL the other 5 volt sensors are on the same circuit, so the problem (short circuit, damage, etc.) can be a fair distance away from the actual CPS.

Bucking and stalling is often an O2 sensor issue, I would start there. Inspect the O2 wires and wires connectors for corrosion, loose connections or wire pins, and damaged or chafed insulation.

The OEM CPS will give you better service than what most auto parts stores sell you. It will cost you more but the pain will be worth the pleasure

Ohm out the CPS. I've had problems like this and turned out I got a faulty aftermarket CPS right out of the box. What are the chances right? But it does happen... Also make sure your cat isn't clogged. I've had the honeycomb start breaking apart and moving about in the cat, causing all sorts of funky drivability issues.

FWIW after that incident I've ALWAYS bought OEM CPS's. Parts guys usually hook me up and it's right around $50

Thanks for responding guys. I have checked all of the wires, connections, etc. Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner and put dielectric grease in them before hooking everything back up. The only thing I haven't done is check it with a meter. As far as the CPS goes.....I ordered the replacement from RockAuto and as I stated...it was fine for a couple of weeks, then the CEL came back on. So I called them up and told them about it and they sent me a second one, but this one was the "step up" from the OEM replacement that I got the first time. When I replaced this one, the code isn't for a CPS like it was originally. Now it's for the Cam Position Sensor/Timing, which an XJ doesn't have from what I understand which is why I went with the ignition coil pickup. And after replacing that the ECM reset itself and the CEL turned off....no stuttering at all. It ran like a dream. Then all of the sudden on my way home from work it started the stuttering again and as I pulled on my road the CEL came back on...same code as the Cam Position Sensor (dont recall the #). So after all of this and even with the CEL on throwing that same code, you think it could still be O2 related???

Back