• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan is Still Leaking

grolla42

NAXJA Forum User
Bout 6 months ago I redid my rear main seal and of course my oil pan gasket. We used a blue rtv and rubber gasket. Couple days later I noticed it leaking still. A few months go by, dealing with other problems, and I change it again with a new rubber gasket and black rtv. Still doesn't stop. So yesterday me and a friend change it again. Cleaned up my rubber gasket and used anaerobic sealant. Still hasn't stopped. When it leaks it comes down the oil pan from the starter area as well as covers the starter. Is there something in that area that's prone to leaking oil that I'm missing?

Distributor Gasket....small (very small) o-ring that seals where the distributor drops into the block. Mine was leaking, I replaced it, and it started leaking again not long after. Runs down the side of the motor and onto the starter.

They're paper thin gaskets, so if I do it again i'm going to stack 2 or 3 of them on there.

You'll never fix it. It's common to all 4.0s especially after higher mileage. It's like chasing your tail, just have to accept it's going to always leave a few drops. If you really want to get crazy and fix if for awhile you'll need to do a motor rebuild and turn the crank for a nice new smooth finish.

You'll never fix it. It's common to all 4.0s especially after higher mileage. It's like chasing your tail, just have to accept it's going to always leave a few drops. If you really want to get crazy and fix if for awhile you'll need to do a motor rebuild and turn the crank for a nice new smooth finish.

I've done 3 ofthem in the last year and a half with no leaks. But, I use the FelPro gasket with NO sealant.

I'm convinced the OP has another leak up above the pan gasket anyways. OFA, oil pressure sender, dizzy gasket.....Should be super easy to see. Clean off the engine, run it and look.

Back