• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft/flange spacer? exist? good idea?

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, do these things exist and are they a good idea?

I recently swapped in a Ford 8.8 rear axle and it's got a companion flange not a pinion yoke. Everyone talks about doing a tranny drop kit or doing a SYE. how about a third option? A companion flange spacer.

Was thinking about my 4.5 lift, tranny drop and thought hey, a spacer right there at the pinion might be a doable, cheap (AND TEMPORARY) driveshaft fix.

I have a two inch tranny drop and have had the rear 8.25 at full drop more than a few times. I have no vibrations and the u-joints haven't shown any signs or wear since i initially lifted it 5 years ago. So my motivation to put the SYE in has been pretty low, since i don't REALLY have the money for it.

The axle's been in for almost a month and I've worked the kinks out of it mostly and I don't think i've made the driveshaft stretch any further than it was with the 8.25 but putting a 1 inch or 1.5 inch spacer in there would make me more comfortable with taking it in the dirt.

So, thoughts? Good/bad idea? Other than a little more rotating weight and inertia, I don't see how this would be bad.

Last edited:
It could be done,but the spacer would need to be machined so that it has the correct male and female pilots(they are available though).I actually have one laying around here somewhere!

I figured they'd be easy to do. Pretty much just a small wheel spacer to mount between the driveshaft and flange. Seems like it would be a low cost fix for small lifts. Unfortunately, it wouldn't help most jeepers.

I made one of these for my jeep. I had a 44 under it when I first started running it but it locked up so I stuck the original 35 back under until I got the 44 rebuilt. The driveshaft(a front cherokee shaft) was too short so I machined a spacer out of some scrap at work and viola! I've been driving around like this including wheeling it for the last 2 years and I haven't had any problems out of it.

Cant help you with where to get one,but it should look something like this....
500-0793-E.jpg

Thats why I have one,Its the driveshaft coupler for my V-drive flat bottom race boat!

Back