• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DOORS!

JayBurdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
HEY,
I have a 1988 xj and i would love to take my doors off while off roading but i would really love it if it was easy to put the doors back on for driving around town because i park on the street every day.

My question is... Is it easy to remove and put the doors back on multiple times?

Last edited:
Yep.Very easy after you cut the hinges.Do a search for it and you'll have no doors in no time.
removingeverything-1.jpg

all 4 of mine slide on and off.then i made a set of these.
004-1.jpg

What size bolt did you use for the pin in pic, also will this work for a 2 door or will it be to heavy? Thanks Oh and what did you do for the outside door handles on your cutout doors?

My first set of doors the hinges was crap to start with.I had to drill them out cause they was busted and i steped them up in size.(5/16th i think.) On good set of doors i did for a friend we used the stock pins on the hinges, we just cut them down a little so they line up easy.
As for a 2 door i havent done one yet, but i would think they would be the same.I am making a set for the wifes 2 door here as soon as i get done with my stuff.So i'll know more about them then.I just cut the handels off.Here is the best pic i have.They open real easy i made them so my grandkids can do them.
primedblack.jpg

I love that pic...it almost looks photoshopped due the lack of depth on the doors...:D

I'm just that crappy of a photographer and couldn't get any depth in the pic-- that and the fact that I couldn't even figure out how to open the package Phothshop comes in, much less use it effectively:bawl:

No, I just meant since the outer skin of the doors is all that's left there instead of how other shave done keeping the inner skin and capping the doors...

Best part of removing your doors, you can make up what ever you want. If you go out and it's raining, then it stops you can just remove your doors an leave them in camp till you get back that night.
So many ways to enjoy our jeeps.

98 and up XJs and some 97s do NOT have hinges that are different from the design pictured above. The hinges the OP has on his 98 will require different steps to make the them removable but it can be done. Do a search there are some write-ups here as well as on jeepforum.

Back