• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

otk tierod ball joint rollo!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have over the knucke steering, 1 ton. anyone know or heard about rolling the ball joints on the tie rod one forward and one back? i know some toyotas or bigger steerings recamend it as to help w/ steering, any help/ info would help, ie witch side to roll witch direction, if it matters!!

I've heard of that, also of installing a Poly shim under the TRE to minimize linkage roll which creates play in the steering. It's been my experience that rolling them in opposite direction to prevent the linkage from roling can create a flat wear spot on the ball/socket in the TRE, which will also creates slop in the steering.

thanks for the heads up, i have the poly spacer but as everything being tight there is no dead spot since the otk install! so im not running the spacer, maybe i should as a preventative??

dont know if its relative, i have 1 ton utk and without the spacer it felt very odd when going back and forth with the wheel, with the spacer i have no dead spot and it seems to feel quite solid. way better than when i had stock.

dont know if its relative, i have 1 ton utk and without the spacer it felt very odd when going back and forth with the wheel, with the spacer i have no dead spot and it seems to feel quite solid. way better than when i had stock.

You will still have a dead spot with the spacer, but it will help a little bit

i have a spacer and no dead spot what so ever. i made my own spacer with UHMW

I always chock this up to sensitivity or even placebo effect. I figure some people are more likely to feel it than others, some may feel it just because they are trying to feel it, and others still might actually have it because they didnt ream deep enough and the spacer isnt doing its job

there is usually a dead spot in the steering without the spacer. you can watch the draglink roll the tie when you steer. if you drive a tight rig and you are not use to crap steering you can definitely feel the change when you get the dead spot. not reaming deep enough will make the tie rod roll even with the spacer because it doesnt totally fill the gap.

by the way they are tie rod ends

Which contain a ball in socket joint.......technically you are both right, but to avoid confusion, TREs are for steering, Ball Joints live on the knuckles. Carry on......

Back