• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plate/tow hook question

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 cherokee with front skid, T-case skid, gas tank skid and 2 tow hooks in front and 1 in back. I am wanting to take these all off and put them on my 94 cherokee. For the tow hooks, will the just bolt on if I remove the hooks and brackets from the 98? The front skid and the T-case skid look like they will be a direct fit is this true? also I know you can use a pre 97 tank skid on a 97+ with some modification, but will a 97+ fit a pre 97? If it wasn't stuck on so bad I'd just pull it and see but it would probably take me 2 hours just to remove it. If a 97+ tank skid will work on a pre 97? I am aware it will almost definitely need modification but what would need to be done(I just want to make sure I have all the necessary tools before I tackle this project.

Also the 98 is stock other than being a police package(which I believe comes with the upcountry package) and the 94 is lifted about 3.5"(not sure if this will cause clearance issues with the front skid).

The gas tank skid won't fit without mods. The old tank is wider than the newer plastic one. The front and t-case skids are the same. The front towhooks are different. I think because of the bumper bracket differences, but with mods they'll fit. As for the rear hook I'm not sure I've never seen one in person but I'd bet it'll fit.

The gas tank skid won't fit without mods. The old tank is wider than the newer plastic one. The front and t-case skids are the same. The front towhooks are different. I think because of the bumper bracket differences, but with mods they'll fit. As for the rear hook I'm not sure I've never seen one in person but I'd bet it'll fit.

The bumper brackets themselves are different. But if you have seperate hook brackets that sandwich between the frame and bumper brackets, then yes they will bolt in.

Is it worth modifying the tank skid to fit or would I be better off running without one? Also for the front hooks are you saying the hook brackets will work even though the bumper brackets are different or I need new hook brackets altogether.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

you should not run without one. the tank is very vulnerable when you drop off ledges.

So ill hopefully be pulling the tank skid tomorrow.... Any advice on modding the skid or will it be obvious when I put the skid up to the tank?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Also for the front hooks are you saying the hook brackets will work even though the bumper brackets are different or I need new hook brackets altogether.
The early stock brackets I had had the bumper brackets welded to them. I'm not sure if the newer ones are, but even if they are a few minutes with a grinder to remove them will let you use your existing ones.

Back