• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" or 6.5" LA lift with 35x12.50" tires

legion1capone

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into a LA lift kit from Iron Rock Offroad and wanted to get your opinions on a 5.5" lift kit vs a 6.5" lift kit? I want to run 35x12.50" tires. I will also be running a Dana 44 in the rear and keeping the Dana 30 up front. I'll also be upgrading the steering system, axles, lockers, driveshafts, and transfer case. As I understand 35" tires and a lift over 4-4.5" in height starts to cause problems. We don't like problems. lol
So there it is in a nutshell... Is there really that much of a benefit of running a 6.5" lift over a 5.5" lift? Is going with a 5.5" lift better simply for the lower COG? I will be using it mainly as a trail rig but will drive it on the street fairly often and drive it to the trails. Washington, Arizona, Colorado, etc. I want it to be capable anywhere I want to take it.

Is going with a 5.5" lift better simply for the lower COG?

IMO, stay as low as possible to clear the tires you want, and trim the fenders to get the travel you want(properly bump-stopped). With good parts it'll still be a good daily driver that will go where you want.
And uh... search on the IRO longarms.

choose the size tire you want, then choose the least amount of lift you can get away with.

35's with a 4.5" lift or even lower are common setups for rockcrawling xjs nowadays.

if you go fast and do less technical stuff, a little more height is desirable for the added suspension compression.

Back