• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle air control unit install

ROKTAXI

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the IAC unit a few months back and somewhere in a post regarding installation, they said to follow a certain sequence after it was installed. It was regarding disconnecting the + battery cable for a certain length of time then touching it to ground to discharge capacitors (??) Reconnect the + battery cable, then turning the ignition switch on / off multiple times as well as the headlights. Then after aprox 50 normal on / off starting, the CPU would learn the new addition.

After doing this on my '94 XJ, all went well, but I have lost the exact info to tell my friend what I did.

Does anyone remember or know anything about this procedure?

as far as i know, just leave the disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. did the trick on mine.

Disconnect the battery for a length of time and/or touch the leads together. After hooking the battery back up turning the lights on and off is silly and does nothing as the PCM doesn't know if the lights are on or off.

Thanks for the feed back jakbob & Talyn. I'm inclined to agree that anything more than disconnecting the battery for a period of time and maybe touching the disconnected + lead to the - lead (for what ever that's worth?).

I also thought maybe standing on one leg touching my nose may also be an option :rolleyes:

I also thought maybe standing on one leg touching my nose may also be an option :rolleyes:

No, but you must sacrifice a live chicken at the exact stroke of midnight on the vernal equinox for the reprogramming to take effect. The reason to touch the positive and negative leads together is to discharge the caps that hold the memory backup programming.

If it works or not I don't know but this is what I have saved as the ECU reset feature.

ECU reset:
Unplug Positive battery cable, touch to negative for 30 seconds, reattach
Turn ignition on, turn headlights on, turn headlights off, turn ignition off. ECU is reset.

headlight thing still makes no sense... not saying its wrong though

headlight thing still makes no sense... not saying its wrong though

Yea I have no clue what the headlights being turned on/off in a certain order does. I just know I read it here or some where as the correct way to reset the ecu.

Back