• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Fuel Pump Fuse keeps blowing

XJPrincess99

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, I have a 99 XJ Limited and I love it but right now I am having a hard time finding the love.

So, here we go.. About a month ago my jeep shut off on me while I was driving. Upon bringing it home and looking around I had found a blown fuse. I replaced the mini 15 amp fuse and it started right up and everything was great. A couple days later it died again. I then pulled over and put in another fuse. It started right up and I kept on trucking... on I believe it was the 3rd or 4th fuse I tried putting in another one and it was blowing them as soon as I was making a connection with the legs. I tried to associate the fuse blowing with what I was doing at that moment while driving but there was not relation in each time the fuse blew. When tracing the fuse I found it went to my fuel pump relay... from the relay then traced it to the computer. Then checked the fuel pump fuse under the car and found water in it. I blew it out and when I put it back together tried another fuse... and it didn't blow. WOO HOO, so I thought. A couple days later the fuse blew again, after the 3rd fuse in one mile and now blowing the fuses as I was putting it in. I checked the fuel pump plug and there was no water =( But I was still blowing the fuse. I then started to unplug the wires from the computer and along with the plug going from the fuse box to the main wiring harness. Finally I tried a new fuse and it worked. I checked the wire going from the relay all the way to the computer and it is fine...

I finally gave up and took it to a Jeep place and after 3 days of messing with it they can't find the problem =(

Also, I have replaced the the whole fuel pump & assembly so it can't be that. =(

PLEASE, Does anyone know what this could be?!?

:helpme: :bawl: :gag:

Sounds as though you may have an intermittant wiring short....
You can narrow down the areas to check by disconnecting the fuel pump harness and see if the fuse blows.
Remove the fuel pump relay and Automatic Shutdown Relay and see if the fuse blows.
Depending upon what you find will tell you where to start checking further.
If you don't have one... you might consider purchasing a Factory Service Manual so that you can use the electrical pin out schematic to trace wiring thru connectors....
I have a '98 FSM, but there may be some differences in the wiring.... between the years.

Back