• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add on, Piece together or Full kit HELP!!!!

Anthonyb

NAXJA Forum User
i may be representing more noobs but i have a pretty detailed question

i purchased my 1998 jeep cherokee sport with
4.5 RC short arm lift
2 inch spacers up front
32 inch tires and new crager soft 8's

i have done :
Kevins Off Road Track bar conversion
AA SYE kit + custom DS
Jks quick discos
Bushwacker flares
k&n filter
waterpump + belt
cap,rotor,plugs and wires

Now on to my question
I drive 90% on road and hit the trails every weekend or every other weekend
I'm trying to decide on what to do
i could simply add a long arm kit to my current 4.5 suspension and remove the spacers to be level and even all around (it sits high in the front right now)
or buy a full kit ?

so What do the pro's in NAXJA say?
is it safe to upgrade just to long arms and save myself 1300$ or is it worth going full kit and spending 2000$

i really need help here the truck currently has Death Wobble due to the angle of the arms and i want it to be 100% safe on the roads cause i'm having a baby in 6 months

Drop the spacers up front and get some drop brackets. If everything is in good working order on your short arm lift.. why go long arms? If you decideto make the switch to long arms... I would just by the upgrade kit. Again.. (if everything else is in good shape) No reason on spinding $$ on things you already have and take the extra $$ and put it into Gears, lockers, etc.

good idea any opinion on drop brackets ?

i've heard the skyjacker are really good for drop brackets
i've heard rubicon express is awesome
and RC havnt heard much about their db's

I have a RC LA kit so i may not be much help with experiance on BD's but RE and RC both look to be solid

how do you like the long arm kit and what size lift are you running with it ?

and how does it ride on the street ?

i can get it for 649$

my only concern buying drop brackets is my lower short arms are not adjustable and my uppers are stock so they will need to be replaced anyway. so like 190 for DB and 400 for adjustable short arms. thats 590

so for an extra 75-100$ i can go long arm and not worry about it in the future

Definitely take out the spacers and get longarms.

Death wobble is probably from a bad bushing or joint in your suspension/steering and the fact that you probably don't have much caster due to the 6.5" lift height. That's way too high for short arms anyway.

how do you like the long arm kit and what size lift are you running with it ?

and how does it ride on the street ?

i can get it for 649$

my only concern buying drop brackets is my lower short arms are not adjustable and my uppers are stock so they will need to be replaced anyway. so like 190 for DB and 400 for adjustable short arms. thats 590

so for an extra 75-100$ i can go long arm and not worry about it in the future

My kit started as there 4.5" complete LA set up. And now pieced in RE coils and leafs now sitting at 5.5"

To be honest, i have never driven another XJ with short arm lift. I DD mine 5 days a week to and from work. (25mi. each way) I def enjoy my kit... NOW. If i were to do it over though. RC would not be my first choice. JMO though. RC has been working hard to get things right based on the customers feed back and complaints of parts that have fail rather quickly. Search and you will see what has taken place over the last yr or so with it.

When you do the math of upgrading to either LA or SA w/ DB its a close call with certain kits of course. Its all about where you want to put your $$ at that point.

im really down to three i want to spend under 850$ shipped to my house so with the cost of alignment being 50-60$
im at 800$

#1 Ironman 4x4 fab
#2 Serious off road
#3 Rough Country

I'm very much considering Rough Country because They offer 10% discount to NAXJA red members and they have a great warranty, And great customer service

I am seeing issues of rust however I'm in AZ "what is rust" so not a concern for me
And potentially the joints however not the new joints only joints from 1 year or so ago
everyone seems to be very happy with the product, after all im not a "professional" rock crawler nor do i yearn to be. i do want to have a comfy safe reliable ride until i get another daily

"then its on like donkey kong"

I am running 4.5" coils and have RK long arms. My Jeep is my daily driver, the long arms made the ride so much smoother and a lot more controlled.

I am running 4.5" coils and have RK long arms. My Jeep is my daily driver, the long arms made the ride so much smoother and a lot more controlled.

your just the one i wanted to talk too a daily driver with long arms
cause thats what mine is going to be
i think im gonna go with the RC Long arm upgrade,
i like RK but just so expensive

Do it once,do it right! You get what you pay for,its not on your "short" list but I would go with TNT(it also come with a T-case skid,thats worth some money)!

TNT is my major consideration right now i like the recessed arms in the cross member rather then hanging down to get chunked.

anyone have the TNT long arm kit ?

I like the RK 3 link, and the Clayton 3 link.

I say get either one of those, and lose the spacer, youll be very happy.

Clayton gets my vote. It has the beefy 2x4 .25 wall 3 piece cross member...u can buy their links or make your own. I on the other hand made my own y link (only have 1 ylink and it's on the passenger side, I don't recommend this unless you beef up the passenger side axle control arm mount) or you can buy their links (the long arm upgrade). Most will say nay on the y link but I drive my rig 90% of the time on the high way and maybe wheel it once a month and have had no problems. Just my .02

Talk to ROBERTK about a price on Rock Krawler. He can hook you up with a great price. I have the 3 link and it's been great. Bought it to get away from the short arms I was running and it's held up really well. I got mine (through another source a while back) for $700. I wouldn't go through them again because the price had gone up before I ordered but hadn't been updated on the site, yet they still expected me to pay more.

ROBERTK will take good care of you and get you a good price. He runs RWKHaus Supply.

Back