• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

115 MPH Instrument Cluster

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever seen one?
What package they were available in?
I know the Police Package was a 120 MPH instrument cluster.

Reason i'm asking is because I spoted one at the local junkyard. (I'll snag a picture later) Didn't know if its very rare to find one?

The body of it looks of a 1991-1996 (don't see any paint pealing like the 1984-1990). I'll have full info on it this weekend.

My 1994 XJ speedo only read 85 MPH which I used to run past every few days and kept going until it was straight down and then some. The 1996 have a 115 MPH speedo. I do not think it is rear.

My '01 has a 100 mph speedo in it....and I would be scared as hell to hit that speed in her!

My 1994 XJ speedo only read 85 MPH which I used to run past every few days and kept going until it was straight down and then some. The 1996 have a 115 MPH speedo. I do not think it is rear.

can you find / bring up any picture of a 115 MPH cluster on the internet since its not rare?.... I can't

cher8487-white-t-layout.jpg

It was just like the cluster on the top. But it had the huge fuel gauge (no idiot lights) and it read 115 MPH

Last edited:
I looked at a '96 on e-bay and it is an 85 mph speedo.

Sorry guys,... Is it 115 or 120,...Now I am not too sure.

My 1996 XJ which was manufactured in the second half of 1996 was one of the proverbial "Red Headed Step Child". It have parts on it from the earlier years and parts from the later years, 1997 on. I know the speedometer have numbers over 100 MPH. Surprised? So was I when I saw that.

Hemenechi, I am not close to my XJ so I cannot provide a picture. Sorry.

you mean the panel that shows the check engine light and 4WD modes and low washer are on the right side of every other pre 97 gauge cluster? because thats all on the left of mine, and everyone elses pre 97...

the panel to the right on pre 97 XJ's is blank and flat, only three different sized areas. early XJ's had a clock but it was small and on the top. and that piece is separate from the cluster, unlike the displays i mentioned. that is a LHD cluster.

look to the left of my cluster....
IMG_0002-1.jpg

Those look like RHD clusters, but probably English, because they're not Metric.

My bad, I just looked at a cluster in my garage, and the black panel on the left is the same. It appears, though, that the numerals on the cluster in the picture are from an early model, maybe even pre-Renix.

We have the white faces on all four of our XJs, and they really brighten up the dash.

Our '96 Classic, built Sept. of '96, as all 'Classic' models seem to be very late, well after '97 models would be for sale, has many '97 bits and pieces, but the same old 85 MPH speedo. Under the hood, it has different injectors, '97+ windshield wipers, and every conceivable option offered! I guess they were cleaning out the parts bins.

Last edited:
My sister drives a '98. Police package. Goes up to 120 and says "accuracy calibrated" or something like that under the speedometer. Also has ext idle, 3.73's, lsd abs dana 35.

Both my '92 and my '96 read up to 125. I never thought it was abnormal.

The '92 was a Sport with AX-15/231 (bought it new off the lot - no special packages) and the '96 is a Country with AW4/242 (looks like normal stock guage to me, no sign of a swap.)

Are you saying this is not typical?

Both my '92 and my '96 read up to 125. I never thought it was abnormal.

The '92 was a Sport with AX-15/231 (bought it new off the lot - no special packages) and the '96 is a Country with AW4/242 (looks like normal stock guage to me, no sign of a swap.)

Are you saying this is not typical?

maybe the gauges arent the same in other countries. every XJ ive seen in the US goes to 85 mph including the clusters that have dummy lights. and ive owned 3.

Back