• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Critical Assistance Needed - Error Codes and Inept Shop

jro780

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep Brethren - I'm in a big jam and need some assistance. I'm leaving for Colorado on Friday morning and I'm trying to finish my rig with some last minute wrenching. My work came to a grinding halt this afternoon. I just took in my XJ for an oil change, got 8.8 e-brakes overhauled, new 33 BFGs, and an alignment. Basically I am running out of time drastically fast so I was willing to let a couple local shops help me out today while I was at work. Bad idea.

I picked up my Jeep from the oil change and brake work and drove it down to the local tire shop for new shoes, an alignment and installation of a drop pitman. The Jeep ran great down to the tire shop. When I went to pick it up this afternoon, I started the Jeep and the check engine light immediately came on, the oil pressure gauge immediately shot to 80+ and I could tell the cooling fan was not turning on nor was the AC compressor kicking on. I asked the shop what happened and they had nothing but blank stares. I pulled it into a bay and they ran the codes for the check engine light. It threw four codes: evap, high oil pressure, AC condenser, and cooling fan errors. The shop lackey tried to tell me that all of these codes probably accumulated over time and that I should have noticed it running hot, the AC wasn't working and the oil pressure was high when I've been driving. It was all I could do to not choke the guy out. I said there is no way all four systems failed simultaneously while parked. All systems in the Jeep ran perfectly before I dropped it off. :firedevil

They kept my Jeep tonight so they can run some "diagnostics" in the morning. I have ZERO faith. To me it sounds like it could be a fuse or other electrical problem causing all of the issues. At some point while the alignment and pitman was installed, something happened to trigger these error codes. Does anyone have any trouble shooting advice? I'm going to check the ground, fuses, and hopefully something will come up. Any other similar experience or troubleshooting guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help!

Well during the oil change they probably broke the oil pressure sender right above the filter. It's hard to get the filter out and in without running in to the sender, so that's hopefully your high oil psi.

Year of your XJ would help further. Wish I could be of more help.
Check fan connections and relays for the AC.

Make sure the oil filter isn't a FRAM. Other than that, I concur on the oil pressure sender.
Where in Colorado are you comming to?

We will be staying around Mt. Massive or Mt. Elbert and plan to run Holy Cross, Birdseye Gulch, and perhaps Wheeler Lake. If there are any trails in the area you would recommend I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

I had a bad oil sending unit and a bad AC relay that was stopping the aux. fan and condenser to run. I can't believe they both went at the exact same time while being serviced at the shop. Crazy, but then again it's a Jeep. . .

We will be staying around Mt. Massive or Mt. Elbert and plan to run Holy Cross, Birdseye Gulch, and perhaps Wheeler Lake. If there are any trails in the area you would recommend I would love to hear about them. Thanks.
Buena Vista is a nice place.
Depending on how hard core you want to go vs. scenic there are tons of options.

Nice scenic trips, not hard core:
Mt. Antero (easy but narrow ledge roads and switchbacks)
Grizzly Lake (one entrance obstacle. easy if dry)
Tomichee (sp?)

A bit harder:
Old Chinaman's Gulch (not particularly scenic)
Iron Chest

Nasty Ass:
Carnage Canyon

The oil sender is a common problem. If you look at it the wrong way it will go faulty. Possibly a bump from the removing the filter pushed it over the edge. The relay isn't that common of an issue. However it is odd that they both went out at exactly the same time, but I don't see how either shop could have done anything to cause the relay to fail. Just an odd coincidence.

Do you have all the actual error codes? Any more exact details on the AC, which cooling fans, etc?

What exactly is not working and what were all the actual codes?

Back