• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions AFTER 8.8 install

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
So I got my 8.8 in, but there are a few things I didn't think of...

How do ya get the ABS light off? Can I just pull a fuse or do I have to take the dash apart and pull the light bulb?

What speedo gear do I want with 4:88 gears, auto, on 33s?

What do I do about e-brake cables?

heh, Thanks guys... :)

The ABS question depends on the year of the XJ.

On 96 and up: Go under the hood to the passenger side and you will find a large black plastic fuse box. Under the lid of the fuse box is a relay and fuse diagram. Pull the ABS relay and the two ABS fuses. The ABS system and light will now be inop. Brakes will work fine.

On the early XJs I have no idea.

Speedo gear answer is here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

The ABS question depends on the year of the XJ.

On 96 and up: Go under the hood to the passenger side and you will find a large black plastic fuse box. Under the lid of the fuse box is a relay and fuse diagram. Pull the ABS relay and the two ABS fuses. The ABS system and light will now be inop. Brakes will work fine.

On the early XJs I have no idea.

Speedo gear answer is here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

Awesome, Thanks!

I got bolt in ebrake cables from Crown Automotive for like 15 bucks each IIRC. They have all the different lengths for different years. Worked peferct in my 95 after my 8.8 swap, it was the easiest/quickest part of thhe whole job.

For the E brake cables on mine i just used to old ones (had a Dana 35) i cut the little spring on the end in half and pulled half off, then just looped it around the little leaver on the 8.8 and used one of those cable ties to clamp it. probably sounds confusing but i know there are write ups on this, cant remember where though?

i just pulled the bulb on my 90 when i did my 8.8 swap. i also eliminated the entire "Hydroboost" system and the ABS computor under the rear seat and swapped in a real power brake setup from a 96 XJ sport, also u might wanna put in a prop valve from a v8 ZJ (with rear disc), this will help braking a little as they are a rear disc rig

You'll have trouble finding a speedo gear with enough teeth. I had to order one from the dealership and they had it shipped in as a NOS part from another dealership. Cost me $100.

I put a 42 tooth gear in because that's the highest I could find in stock. 5.38's and 35's.

For the E brake cables on mine i just used to old ones (had a Dana 35) i cut the little spring on the end in half and pulled half off, then just looped it around the little leaver on the 8.8 and used one of those cable ties to clamp it. probably sounds confusing but i know there are write ups on this, cant remember where though?

This worked for me too. Blaise

LOL - I forgot I actually bought my e-brake cables from East Coast Gear Supply because they were cheaper. They are Crown cables. I didn't know you could get parts directly from Crown.

Back