• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Supposed issues aligning Iron Rock steering?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the Iron Rock OTK steering. In an attempt to get my alignment down as accurate as possible, I took it to the pros. They claim it was impossible to adjust the toe accurately because the tie rod hits the axle housing. I've never seen that mentioned before, and am wondering if its just being used as a means of getting out of having to warranty the alignment on an off-road vehicle.

Anyone have any thoughts?

You should have asked them to show you where it is hitting. The last alignment I had I made sure the guy was ok with me watching and being in the shop while it was on the rack before going there.

I had to leave it there, they couldn't do it right away. I will ask about it when I go pick it up though.

wtf? Sounds like BS to me. Cycle the steering and see if it's almost touching. It should be obvious.

Maybe they ment the drag link when centering the wheel?

I know, the tie rod is bent for clearance. It didn't seem that close when I was installing it. I'm about to go pick it up right now.

I usually put my axle on jack stands, put two bare rims (no tires) and measure from outside edge of both rims in the front and outside edge of both rims in the back, and make the front 1/16th closer, Ive had this method check by an ole timer with one of the original bear alignment racks, and he says that a computer couldnt get it any closer.

They are probably saying that because they are trying to rotate the tierod to do the adjustment. That steering set up doesn't have an adjuster does it? don't you have to adjust each rodend individually?

I usually put my axle on jack stands, put two bare rims (no tires) and measure from outside edge of both rims in the front and outside edge of both rims in the back, and make the front 1/16th closer, Ive had this method check by an ole timer with one of the original bear alignment racks, and he says that a computer couldnt get it any closer.

I've done it the gojeep way measuring tread blocks. Works great as well :thumbup:.

I've done it the gojeep way measuring tread blocks. Works great as well :thumbup:.

Not exactly accurate since the tread pattern isn't exact on both tires.

The best way IMO is to mark a line down the middle of the tires and use those as measuring points. All ya gotta do is jack up on side, put your tool box in front of the tire and lay a flat head screwdriver or punch on the box touching the tire. Turn the tire while the screwdriver/punch scrapes and makes a perfectly centered line. I've done it this way and got all green (perfect alignment) at the shop. Now I know I don't need to pay for an alignment since this gives a very accurate measurement.

They are probably saying that because they are trying to rotate the tierod to do the adjustment. That steering set up doesn't have an adjuster does it? don't you have to adjust each rodend individually?

It's what I do on these. Pop a tie rod loose and turn it to get the numbers as close as I can. It won't be perfect but it will be close since you can't turn the middle to get it right on.

ive tried the finding the true center of the tire.... tried tread blocks... wasnt accurate enough, measure 5 times, come up with 3 differant measurements...

all i do is mark two verticle crow's feet, one on each tire, measure to the same place... turn the tire 180 degree's, measure again. dont switch sides with your helper... stay at the same tire.

Yep, you have to do each rod individually since the tie is bent around the diff.
ive tried the finding the true center of the tire.... tried tread blocks... wasnt accurate enough, measure 5 times, come up with 3 differant measurements...

all i do is mark two verticle crow's feet, one on each tire, measure to the same place... turn the tire 180 degree's, measure again. dont switch sides with your helper... stay at the same tire.
That's the method recommended by IRO.

This is the best way i have found too.But i lost my rims or i gave them to somebody who was in need.:tears:

Darky if they can't do it, just bring it to me.I can do it for you. NO problem
I just may take you up on that. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to get the drag link adjusted properly since the steering wheel is still way off. However, I'm also going to make him listen to the grinding/groaning noise it makes now since the alignment. He said it made a lot of noise before, but this is definitely a new noise. Plus, it still gets death wobble.

I have the IRO steering... zero issues! I love it... been running it for about 2 years.

My method:
Take 2 1"x1" boards or hockey sticks... either way they need to be about a foot longer than the diameter of the tire- and some wire or zip ties and attach them to the outside edge of the wheel parallel to the ground with the center of the board/stick at the same height as the center of the wheel. Bam- instant measuring point. This way you can hang the edge of the tape measure over the board/stick on one side and read the measurement on the other.

Toe is dependent on tire size so that method really wont work!
Not exactly accurate since the tread pattern isn't exact on both tires.

The best way IMO is to mark a line down the middle of the tires and use those as measuring points. All ya gotta do is jack up on side, put your tool box in front of the tire and lay a flat head screwdriver or punch on the box touching the tire. Turn the tire while the screwdriver/punch scrapes and makes a perfectly centered line. I've done it this way and got all green (perfect alignment) at the shop. Now I know I don't need to pay for an alignment since this gives a very accurate measurement.
Scibing the tire is definately the best method!

I have the IRO steering... zero issues! I love it... been running it for about 2 years.

My method:
Take 2 1"x1" boards or hockey sticks... either way they need to be about a foot longer than the diameter of the tire- and some wire or zip ties and attach them to the outside edge of the wheel parallel to the ground with the center of the board/stick at the same height as the center of the wheel. Bam- instant measuring point. This way you can hang the edge of the tape measure over the board/stick on one side and read the measurement on the other.
Do you get any creaking or groaning from yours? I didn't until taking it in to be aligned.

Back