• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 w/ aw4 ???????

rwdawg2

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says. I have a 98 auto with some questions.

I have searched on here and found some answers but none that have solved my issue. The issue is the auto will not shift into overdrive.

I have changed the fluid and filter. Shifts smoother but still no overdrive. I have adjusted the Throttle position sensor or whatever you guys call it on here. And still no overdrive.

It shifts into 1st and 2nd when in 1-2. It shifts into 3rd when in 3rd, and it shifts into 4th like normal when it is in drive. But it never switches over into overdrive. So I will be cruising on level surface at 60-70mph and it will be between 2500-3000rpms.

Just need to find a little help.
Thanks,
Lindsey

Posting links on NAXJA is discouraged, but you can Google for yourself and find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manual. It is also in the complete Cherokee Factory Service Manual.

Perform the tests and follow the trouble shooting charts.

The TPS and NSS have direct input for AW-4 shifting. You might want to test them.

hubs and jrowell are correct... the AW4 has 1, 2, 3, and 4th (which is OD.) I'd have to guess you are saying that the torque converter never locks up in 4th? It almost feels like another upshift when it locks.

My stock AW4 XJ ran around 2k at 65mph in 4th with the TC locked.

So yeah, either you aren't going into 4th/OD, or your torque converter isn't locking.

Now, I am only running 31's with stock gearing. And when I put them on it ran fine for a while, and all of a sudden the jeep has just been running really high RPM's on the freeway.

And to the guys that say 4th is OD.
Well what RPM range do you guys run on the hwy way at 65MPH? I just think 2700 or 2800 is a bit high.

I run around 2800 with 33s/4.88. I have no idea what the norm for 31s/3.55 at 65 is.
If your counting 4 "shifts" that's all the aw4 has. 1,2,3 and OD. You can tell it's in OD by tapping on the break at highway speed and seeing the tach jump 200-300 rpm.

Back