• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few worries about LCA and front lift install

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Going to install the front end of my hybrid (OME springs and shocks, JKS track bar and quicker disconnents, 3/4 inch spacer) 3 1/2 in. lift. Did the rear last week and my friends are already calling it the General Lee. I like my OE Ecco wheels so I bought Rusty's LCA with a bend inside to accomodate my 31's at full lock.

Worry: I'm worried that my front axle will shift to one side or the other when I remove the OE LCAs and install the new LCAs. I've read horror stories on this board about using straps and come-alongs to line up the LCA mounting tabs. I've also read that some people swap out their LCAs, one at a time, with the Jeep on the ground. Any thoughts? Thanks.

it's going to shift around, no way to get around it. jack up the jeep by the axle, put jackstands under the frame, and keep the jack under the axle once the wheels are off. swap your control arms one at a time and you should be fine, you should be able to use the jack to raise and lower the axle to get it in the position you need it to be in as the track bar will force it left or right as the axle moves up and down.

i have done them on the ground and in the air. i would say one at a time, on the ground is the easiest.

i use the bottle jack that comes with the jeep and realign the axle with that as i go. its not hard at all.

LOL, no worries, you aren't a pansy. Screwing with suspension stuff can be scary. You'll be fine, though, especially at 3.5". Get 'er done. :)

Didn't I have to show you how to get your danged control arms back on after you put the bigger coils in? lol.

:piratefla

A little trick I learned when dealing with control arms:

If you need to bring the axle closer, put bottle jack under the pinion and jack up. This moves the bolt holes closer together.

If you need to lengthen the distance between holes, put bottle jack under the front of the knuckle and jack up.

Or just use a ratchet strap but be careful.

Easiest way I have done is with the frame on jackstands and the tires off the ground, using a ratchet strap.

All you need is an 18" or so pipe wrench and a floor jack. Your XJ can even be on the ground while doing this. Plus, you can do this by yourself, to boot!

Clamp the pipe wrench on the axle as close to the CA mount / CA you will want to adjust. Align the pipe wrench in the direction you want to rotate the axle. Once you have the pipewrench biting on the axle, put the handle end of the pipe wrench on the pad of the floor jack, and begin pumping slowly. Keep an eye on the rotation of the axle. It's amazing how much finesse you'll have in lining up the holes using this method.

You can use this method to either remove or install CA's. Do one at time though....

Thanks for all of the replies. You folks are great. I'm "going under" Saturday morning and am looking foward to it. Thanks again.

Back