• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this Waggy worth it?

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA folks,
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Wagoneer limited that is in mint condition. This vehicle has 43,000 original miles, is currently owned by the 90 year old lady who drove it off the lot brand new 20+ years ago, and has been garage kept in Virginia and only used for grocery and church runs. The owner is asking 5,700. Are they pretty fair on that price, or should I be expecting to be able to get them down a good bit? I'm pretty good at pricing jeeps usually, but this one is in such great shape with such low miles, I'm having a hard time nailing down what's fair. All responses are appreciated.

ECGTECH

Sometimes you gotta ignore the blue book, if it truly is as good as you say. I'd still try to talk her down, but not with the intent of sticking it to a 90 year old lady. Someone will chime in that they bought a better vehicle, with less mileage and more options for three dollars. I tend to see it as a cool Jeep, at one-fourth the cost of a hamster driven pos Kia Soul...

I'd be wary of a vehicle with that low of miles owned by an elderly person, as it's unlikely that it was maintained well (if at all). I'm not saying this is 100% the case, but this has been my experience.

That said I got my 95 in 2005 from an elderly woman who drove it in a similar manner to what you describe, and it has been the best vehicle I've ever had. It was showroom clean and had less than 80k miles on it and not a spot of rust. She had maintenance records on it though so I went ahead and bought it. In 1998 I bought a 91 honda civic with 23k miles on it from an older woman and I thought It was going to be great because of the low miles... first thing I did was an oil change and it wouldn't even drain out of the pan because there was so much sludge in it, I don't think she ever had the oil changed. The engine on that car siezed up 2k miles later.

5700 still seems quite high for a 20 year old vehicle, even if it is in mint condition. I would most definately try to talk her down at least a couple grand, but ultimately it's your money so it's your call. The question is not what is it worth, the question is what is it worth to you.

That's exactly right as far as the value being perceived by the individual based on the "I want it factor". paying Full blue book is really way to high in almost all situations. I say this based on ten years in the car industry.

show her as many ads of other jeeps similar that are in the area that you can find. get a average price set, then make an offer. $5700 seems like a very high price to me. low miles is good, but it is still a 20 something year old jeep. remember too that alot of the wagoneer limiteds had the bendix antilock brake system that was a complete failure. so know that some sort of brake swap will need to be done. 95/96 master/booster from a junk yard is typical. dont get too caught up in the "mint condition" of this thing. pay what it is worth so you both are happy. if your plan is to build it up with a lift, tires, gears, lockers, ect, then you may want to look for something allready built. $5700 can buy you a nicely built jeep in my area.

Is this an XJ Waggy or an FSJ Waggy? Both were available in the '90 model year IIRC.

I would consider an FSJ Waggy for that kind of price but wouldn't consider an XJ one for that much.

Thanks for all the input. With regard to the "worth it to me/ I want it factor", I have been looking for a well-kept wagoneer for quite some time because I'm a sucker for the wood-grain, leather/cloth seats, 242, and the generally "luxurious" feel that a Waggy Ltd. offers (As if any jeep other than the grand waggy and the newer GC's were at all luxurious). I'm also a fan of the waggy front clip and the nick-nacky interior items like the quartz clock and the "wagoneer" badges on the interior door panels. My plans included a small lift, probably not anything over a 2" shackle and spacer job. I would like to maintain the somewhat stock look while still being able to run 30" tires. there will be minimal other suspension mods asside from upgraded stock replacement parts such as tougher shocks, steering stabilizer, stronger TRE's etc. The true purpose of this vehicle for me would be to have a neat old jeep that looks great and will last forever.
So the I want it factor is there, the issue is the financial capital. I've got 3k MAX to spend on this thing. My question is how much would be too much to pay. My gut agrees with the rest of you that 5700 is way to high, even if the thing had 0 miles (20 years is 20 years). Continued input regarding what is fair/what are potential problem issues (I was aware of the ABS situation and was going to use that as a bargaining chip) are welcome.

Also, the owner's son is selling it. I would be dealing with him directly so the concerns of negotiating with an elderly person are somewhat muted.

Thanks again,

ECGTECH

Last edited:
Kastein, I'm looking at an XJ. I agree with you though, the Grand Wagoneer seems to be holding its value better than its XJ little brother.

Back