• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting control arms how to?

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
I just found out I didn't set wheelbase correctly so I have to adjust it a little bit. Is it safe with axle on jack stands to remove both upper and lower control arms and push it forward? The swaybars and shocks will still be in place. Is this enough to keep the springs in place or do I need to disassemble everything again? When I did it last time everything was completely apart. Basically just need some tips and tricks you guys learn. Also is there any specific pinion angle to set this at or just set the pinion to driveline or split the difference between that and factory settings. I have 4.5" lift right now!

Yes, you can unhook upper and lower CA's at the same time. The chart from Yuccaman is a good guide, but it might take some playing around with to find out what works. I know when I put my adjustables on, I was still getting drivelines vibes when I used the measurements on that chart. That might be due to the fact I don't know my exact lift height however.

Last edited:
LCA's set wheelbase(caster), UCA's set pinion.

Upper and lower serve both functions. You can't change the caster w/o changing the pinion angle through control arm adjustment.

That might be due to the fact I don't know my exact lift height however.

find a stock jeep and measure from the top of the axle tube to the oil pan and compare it to yours :D That will give you your lift height measurement without taking the tire size into account.

Yuccaman's chart is a good place to start but isn't the last word.
Once you get the axle centered, you need to adjust the caster and front pinion u-joint angle. The u-joint should ideally point directly at the axle with only a 1/2 degree or so of misalignment, to help eliminate vibrations.
The caster should be 5 degrees or more but the pinion angle has priority.

Other things to watch; drag-link hitting the passenger side sway-bar bracket (bending the sway bar bracket is a cure), the end of the sway bar hitting the coil springs (dropped sway bar brackets can help) and the curvature of the coil springs being too great.
You can spend many hours working to get everything adjusted just right or close to just right, either way, it is well worth the effort.

Back