• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust hanger vs. rear shock bolts?

drewbsking

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had problems replacing the exhaust hanger assembly (furthest from the muffler) Mine finally broke where it meets the clamp.

When I replaced the rear shocks all of the bolt heads broke off and I was left with the rest in the weld nut in the unibody. Very common I remember looking at posts.

Am I going to have similar problems with the two 18 mm bolts for the exhaust assembly? I have sprayed PB blaster on them for a full day and then tried with a wrench and nothing. Im going to try with an impact tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Or should I just leave it alone and tie it up with the wire?

First of all, who came up the idea of with using 18mm hardware for the stupid exhaust? My 18mm sockets were virgin until I replaced the exhaust and now they're covered in PB Blaster and rust. Can't even find them anymore in the toolbox 'cause they look like all the other sockets.

Seriously, PB can take a few days even though it's some of the best stuff out there. Took me 3 days to do lower shock mounting bolts on a BMW. And you should weld up the rear exhaust mount.

ALL the upper rear shock bolts snapped off my '95 but only 2 (same side) on my '01. Found a procedure to replace the busted ones by going through the floor (that was fun) and dropping new bolts down. On my '95 I could drop the bolts in from underneath but Chrysler must have figured that out and made the newer ones impossible. Either way an air chisel/punch should pop out the old bolts.

I would keep with the PB blaster 2-3 times a day and give it a week or even 2... I did that for 1 month on my rear suspension and had no broken bolts. another option as a worst case is heat the bolt up with a torch and then put a candle (like a birthday candle) to the bolt so it can wick up and then try to remove the bolt when still hot.

18mm what would you like for them to have used? :) 15mm or 13mm you would have A LOT more broken heads... I would want them to go to even larger, go with a 21mm stainless.... you know some simple green on your tools will clean them back to looking new...

I let the PB Blaster set for more than 24 hrs and still no dice. I don't have an impact wrench so i gave up or the strength :(

Took it to the local shop and asked them to just weld the it back up. Didn't care since the muffler and tailpipe don't have much life in this world. They ended up getting it off with no problems from what I know or could see. Used NAPA parts and they were way beefer than the OEM part.

About the rear shock mounting bolts:

All 4 of my rear shock mounting bolts sheared right off at the head leaving a weld nut with the rest of the bold in it. What I ended up doing was air hammer the entire weld nut out and installed a nut and washer INSIDE the uni-body. Just have to slip in an open end wrench in there and be patient and it worked.

Back