• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical question. testing a theory

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Two questions really.

1: Can a car battery push too much power all by itself?

2: Could a battery that was pushing too much power cause a fuel pump relay to blow?

Backststory: Bought 88 MJ 4x4 with a I6. Doesn't run or maybe it does.

There were some repairs done, the fuel pump wasn't working, it was replaced but then the computer gave up the ghost. It was replaced and then the truck would run but only for 10 seconds or so until the fuel pump relay would blow. Thats where it sits now. I've had no chance to mess with it myself yet. My current theory is that the battery is putting out too many volts or amps or whatever and is causing the relay to blow and maybe it caused the computer problem too.

The reason I think the battery maybe putting out too much power is when I went to install it (almost new Optima Red top, came in the MJ) in my dodge, I connected the negative and when the positive side touched the battery cable I heard a VERY loud SNAP and saw a pretty good arc. Naturally, I yanked back and then pulled the Optima out. Not going to risk it. This was all after it sat on a trickle charger overnight. It was dead when I picked the truck up.

Any thoughts?

No the battery cannot push too much power. The voltage regulator controls the max charge volts. The battery sitting should measure 12.8 volts DC. When running, the battery from the alternator charge should read around 13.2 volts DC. Probably voltage regulator is bad,,, one of the diodes is fried in it, allowing it too supply a high AC ripple voltage .

If a battery terminal where loose, the alternator would be trying to
charge into an open circuit. The regulator would up the charge voltage.
I think this could take out the ECU.

5-90? Any input? Hopefully he'll jump in here

Back