• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch will not open 97+

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
The back gate on my 2dr '98 won't open. I've worked the key back and forth in it trying in vain to find a "sweet spot" but nothing. I'm not sure what's going on but I was hoping you guys had some advice on how to open it. I was thinking about using a hole saw to cut in where I can reach in and push the release with something.

Anyone have the rear hatch panel off their 97+ and can pull a tape real quick to the interior panels on the sides to get me measurements on the center of the hole? I've had the cover off before, but it's been a few years and I don't want to have a bunch of holes drilled and none of them be right.

Why not just set fire to the Jeep ? That ought to fix it.

Simply remove the interior trim panel and trigger the latch mechanism. Even with the tailgate closed you can pull enough trim loose to reach inside and open the tailgate. Once the tailgate is open, clean the latch and lock mechanisms and adjust the handle mechanism so the tailgate opens correctly.

Put the cutting tools away and read this - http://www.grobe.us/Jeep/Tech/Body/HatchLatch/qnd-install.htm

Last edited:
I spent a good 15min wiggling the hatch/handle/jeep/ect trying to get it open... Still gotta have a look at it.

From the inside, pull open the hatch cover so you can reach your arm down inside. Have someone try to open the door and you'll see the latch move inside. It's just not moving far enough. Reach in and pull UP on that latch arm, which should open the door. If you don't get enough travel, pop the latch adjusting arm out of it's clip to give you move travel and then pull up on the bottom latch and push the hatch open.

Try pushing the hatch in while pulling the handle. I have to do this on mine often to get it to open.

x2. Push in hard (maybe even put a shoulder into it) just above the handle and pull the handle while it's pressed in, and then hold the handle up while you let the pressure off.

Try pushing the hatch in while pulling the handle. I have to do this on mine often to get it to open.
mine has this issue, you can try pushing in on the sheetmetal to the right of the handle about 8 inches over and 3 inches above the bumper, you will have to push HARD and slightly upwards. I brace my elbow on my knee and use it as a lever while pulling.

One of these days I will actually fix it. Probably the day this trick stops working :gee:

I had to cut a hole in my cover to get to it. There is a recall/replacement latch you can buy. The cheap stamped steel nut that holds the rod from the lever to the latch comes loose. I was told you can unblot the striker from under the jeep behind the bumper but i didnt know you could till i cut the hole. Also didnt want to take my rusty hitch off an not be able to get it back on. Pretty sure you cant take the cover off with the hatch closed.

You CAN get the panel loose enough to reach in with the gate closed. I had to do it on my '98. I'm going to fix my '99 before it gets to that point.

Here is how I open my 2000 Hatch: I pull up on handle slightly with right hand, then with left bump the hatch to the left of the handle area. It works every time. You may need a few tries to get it right. [email protected]

Get a can of PB Blaster and hose the mechanism down liberally. Let it sit, spray it again.
Spray it one more time & pull the latch from inside the panel.

Then pull the panel apart, disconnect & discard the linkage, & make yourself a new linkage by modifying a small cable turnbuckle. I did this & have been problem free for years.

Or clean, adjust & lube it.

Whichever.

I just fixed my kids...took like 20 minutes..pull the cover off...the right hand rod has dropped down.Pinch the clips to loosen the rod and pull up on the rod till you get the right adjustment.I put a c-clip on the rod so it wouldn't drop again...works like a charm now....

Here is how I open my 2000 Hatch: I pull up on handle slightly with right hand, then with left bump the hatch to the left of the handle area. It works every time. You may need a few tries to get it right. [email protected]

I gave this a little try today in passing, didn't work. I'm going to try to work on it tomorrow. Been re-doing the seats for my K5 today and then took the old lady out for a drink this evening while my parents watched the kids. :cheers:

Got off my lazy, uh, well you know, this morning and checked it out. You can pull the panel at the top (under the back glass) out enough to reach in and do what you need to. My assembly had become so poorly adjusted that I had to stick a flat screw driver down into the actual latch mechanism and pry the release over to get it opened. I then adjusted the bar back to where it worked nice and gave the factory clip a squeeze with a pair of pliers to set more tension on the retaining ears. After that I soaked everything in lube and let it set, re-installed the panel and it looks like I'm good to go for now. If I have trouble out of it again, I'll look into building something that will work better.

Thanks for all the input on this guys! :greensmok

Back