• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission temp gauge sensor position question

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting in a B&M transmission temp gauge and I was wondering where I should put the sensor? I read Jason's writeup over at jeepin.com and he put his in the supply line. So which do ya'll recommend, supply line or return line?

Come on guys need a little help here this is on my list of things to do tomorrow and I don't often get some free time to wrench on the old heep these days.

Ok guys the transmission pan, while clearly better, is not an option right now. So that being said, should I put my sensor in the supply line or the return line?

Mine is plumbed on the output (trans to cooler) line. There's a port just ahead of the output, that is just plugged on ours, and has a temp switch in some Toyota applications. Also, there are kits that install a bung in the pan without welding. I'll post the link when I find my bookmark.

Last edited:
I would say supply line. To me the fluid coming out would be a better indicator on what the tranny temp is vs. Knowing what the temp is after the cooler into the tranny. I am plannning to put in a gauge real soon and will be puting the sensor on the line before the trans cooler.

Yes, I would put it at the output, since it will give you an accurate gauge of what the temp of the fluid inside the tranny is running at. If you put it at the inlet, it has already gone through the external cooler, and will not display the temperature that the transmission is actually running at.

Edit: And beat by crash02 while I was typing.

Thanks guys thats what I was lookin for and I was thinking that too but wanted to make sure that I was correct with my reasoning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back