• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

l423 cummins in a XJ?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I found a XJ that someone swapped a 4 cylinder Onan Cummins diesel L423. How good of an engine is that? Would it still have plenty of power to cruise highway speeds and pass a slower vehicle without requiring a country mile?
I'm thinking of buying it.

worthless

I found and old posting from a few years back called 'Is It True?' The onan L series engines were designed and built by onan for use on their DL series of gensets. They came in 3,4,and 6 cylinders with displacements of 1.7L,2.3L, and 3.4L respectively. Model designations were derived by using engine series (L) followed by number of cylinders, then displacement in Litres. Therefore, the 4 cyl was called and L423. These engines ran generator sets in the range of 15kW to 30kW. They used the Onan YD generator end. When these engines were developed, Onan was its own entity, unrelated to the Cummins Engine Company.
Upon the purchase of Onan by Cummins in 1986, Cummins used its own designation on these engines, similar to those already used on the B and C series Cummins engines already in production at that time. They called this new, smaller engine the A series. Designations were number of cylinders, followed by series. Therefore the engine with an onan degignation of L423, became the Cummins 4A. These engines were phased out by cummins quite early, and are now nearly extinct, and very hard and expensive to get parts for. I still occasionally see some of these here in Alaska, and worked on a few when I worked for the Alaska Cummins distributor as a field generator tech. I also have a 4A myself.

It's not going to be a speed demon, but it will be good on fuel consumption. Not worthless as long as it's in running condition. BUT, worthless if it ever gives up the ghost. Parts will be too expensive to justify rebuilding vs. swapping a different motor.

not only is it not going to be a speed demon it makes no power at all. its a non turbo 2.3L diesel from years and years ago. this motor was replaced by the 3.9L 4BT which still is not a hugely powerful motor until parts are changed. i would wait and get a better turbo diesel.

THe engine is gonna be decent but its a genset engine, its not set up for a vehicle. It'll work but i would suspect it won't be very good for a DD. the B3.3 or 4bt would be a much better option except for the fact they are heavy!

You found that one too? I'm pretty close to it but not gonna even go look knowing that it's a genset engine.

Back