• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft Position Sensor Wiring help

Scorpion8

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ 4.0 HO. The camshaft position sensor has three wires on the module coming out from the distributor. Tan/Yel goes to the ECU, cavity A18. ORG wire goes out into the wiring harness and several sensors and looks like it is the +5V supply line for 3-wire sensors. My question regards the brn/Yellow wire which comes off and goes to a multitude of 2-wire sensors and a lot of the 3-wire sensors.

My question regards my wonky oil pressure gauge in the dash, which is supplied from the oil pressure sender. The sender near the oil filter is two wire: grey/yel which goes to the ECU cavity B23, and brn/yel which ties into all the common brn/yel wires (they all ties together at a single splice).

So for two wire sensors, they have to get supply power somewhere, right? Since the gry/yel line goes to the ECU, the supply voltage has to come from the brn/yel wire. Does it get this feed from the camshaft sensor? I tried to give mine a good supply from the coolant temp switch which is also on the brn/yel feed, but there was no change in my oil pressure reading on the gauge.

Since the oil pressure sender only has two wires, it HAS to be one or the other, right? Just looking for some clarification before I tap into the crankshaft sensor brn/yel looking for a positive voltage supply.

ETA: one portion of the wiring diaram has the brn/yel as "sensor ground" which seems liable since it ties in so many of the sensors. So if my oil pressure gauge isn't working right, most efforts point to the gry/yel wire to/from the ECU?

Last edited:
I ran a continuity check between the brn/yel wire and the block, because that line is labeled as "sensor ground" in a few places in the wiring diagrams. I got good strong continuity. Then I ran a continuity check between the grey/yel wire on the sensor harness and cavity B23 of the ECU, where the wire ties in. It had continuity, and while running showed me a fluctuating .2 to .5V from the oil pressure sending unit.

Does anybody know what the voltage level to the ECU should be while operating, since I have a nominal 40-50psi oil pressure (hard gauge) at idle?

Back