• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Build ?s

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.

The Purpose:

So here is the story. Last year, at the ripe old age of 39, I met my father for the first time. As it turns out he's a helluva guy and he and I both share a nearly debilitating wanderlust.

We've decided to take a couple months, or four or five, and go from Va, to Bonnaroo in Tn to the SW to Cali to AK to wherever.

Some mild to moderate offroading (no rock Crawling unless absolutely needed to get from point A to B.)
I know it sounds odd, but to the biker in him and the trucker in me it's not all that far fetched.

So with that in mind I'd like to go over my build plans and see if anything jumps out at you more experienced builders as a huge mistake.

The Jeep:

The basis for this is a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4dr auto.

What I have so far:

Superlift 3.5" lift
Pro Comp 15x8's
BFG All Terrain in 31x10.50 size
Class 3 Trailer Hitch

Yeah, not much I know

In the works almost immediately:
complete auxillary wiring harness for off road lights, radios, fridege, etc etc. (This I have covered by a friend who builds commercial wiring harnesses for electric motor carts. I knew he was the guy when he sent me an Auto Cad wiring diagram lol)
Replacing the LP Dana 30 with a HP Dana 30 with ARB locker (used and for a good price0
Superwinch LP8500
Karnage Offroad (Salisbury NC) front winch bumper. Just ordered it today.

The plan:

Convert the XJ into an upstairs downstairs configuration with a RTT and cargo compartment platform/drawers. (I'm spending a LOT of time on ExPo and the Adventure forum.)

On a budget (taking a months off is not cheap) make the Xj a capable and Dependable Overland Jeep.

Planned next steps:

Electrical (covered)

Mechanical; replace coil packs and keep old ones as a spare, repalce O2 sensors and retain old ones as spares.
Taurus Fan conversion
Aux trans cooler
K/N Filter
High flow (legal) exhaust
Replace NP242 with NP231 with SYE
Selectable locker in rear 8.25 corporate
Air bag support of rear axle. ( I think Ive seen this on here before. There will be a LOT of extra weight on the back end of this Jeep and I am reluctant to go with harsh riding rear leaf packs. So I think that the air bag set up is best? Thoughts?)

Now, without spending over $ on a prebuilt lift kit I woudl like to get a little extra out of the XJ's suspension.
Here are my thoughts, please comment!

FRONT:

Retain the front Superlift springs and add adjustable coil spring spacers. 1 1/4" lift minimum and more than I need maximum.

relocate LCA's with a RC relcation kit

Buy appropriate front Shocks

ZJ pittman arm

ZJ tie rod

Retain stock LCAs

Appropriate SS brake hoses

REAR:

Lift shackles and S-10 springs

Brake lines

shims to correct d-line angle

Appropriate shocks.

Hopefully this will net me enough clearance to put on 33x12.50 Mud Terrains next year before the trip. Yes, there will be trimming. I am NOT afraid of a sawzall. ;)

Ok, so this long and disjointed post is about finished.

What do you think?

Care to add anything that I'm leaving out based on your experience?

Sounds like you have a solid plan so far. Think about trying to find a HP d30 from a 4-banger with 4.10's and getting an 8.8 with factory 4.10's so you can get rear discs, a stronger axle, and gears for cheap. Otherwise, you'll be OK with your current plan.

Also, I would get 33x10.50's instead of 12.50's for an expo rig. They'll be much easier to fit, be easier on your driveline, and most agree that they perform much better in everything but very deep snow.

Sell the 31's on the wheels and get some 16 inch wheels so you can run 8 or 10 ply tires.

Read up on shortening your gas tank vent hose to fit a little more gas in the tank.

Reconsider the exhaust, for that much driving you will probably want something quiet

Depending on which seats are in your jeep, consider some comfy junk-yard replacements

I have an 800w inverter tucked into my dash board with 2 outlets in the blank space to the right of the steering column and that is very handy.

My wife and I drove from Maine to the Black Hills in South Dakota and back this summer. I put about 5000 miles on the Jeep. We did get off the pavement, but most of the driving was on Rt 90 where air conditioning, comfy seats, and a good radio were important. I was also very happy to have a Detours tailbone so I didn't have a 265x75x16 spare tire filling my cargo area.

Thanks for the input!!

I have ZJ power leather seats. Oh yeah, I'm a bign guy. I like comfy.

The plans are for a compressor and 2.5 gallon tank.

really? Sell the wheels and tires? Man I just bought em.

You're right about the track bar. I had forgot. Written on the list.

Going over the bumper tire swing design right now. Already have a Class 3 hitch. Gunna keep the bumper si9mple and just tie in to the hitch for extra support.

Great minds think alike, just bought an 800W inverter.

Please keeop it coming, this has the juices flowing.

I'l post a build thread as soon as the interesting stuff gets started.

BTW: My fabricator frined just went over his plans for a hinge for the tire carrier. 15lbs of hinge? Really? LOL

I guess it isn't that important to sell the wheels if you just bought them, but thicker rubber would improve reliability. I've popped 2 6-ply trxus m/ts, but no 8-ply trxus m/ts. It may not be a fair comparison since I've been running Gempler's ultra-seal commercial version since the spring.

It sounds like you have a pretty solid plan. Before my trip this summer, my wife was reading and people had decided that a Volvo wagon was the perfect road trip car and what is an XJ but a jacked up Volvo wagon?

One thing to think about when it comes to wheels, check on tire availability for 16's vs 15 inch rims. The only 33x10.50's available in a 16" rim are either muds or are extremely pricey. I'd rather have the 33x10.50's than LT tires.

Hoping not to hijack this thread any further, as I'm looking forward to the OP's progress with interest but...

Before my trip this summer, my wife was reading and people had decided that a Volvo wagon was the perfect road trip car and what is an XJ but a jacked up Volvo wagon?

That's funny, as I have the '99 XJ (nearly stock, yet) and she has the '99 XC70. I love my Jeep, but on long highway trips... yes, we take her Volvo - especially if I hope to not do all the driving. I must admit that, having driven the car at 70+mph in snowstorms while traffic spins off the road all around me, it's a rather comfortable, spacious, versatile, great-handling, and confidence-inspiring vehicle; perfect for long-distance travel (on-road). She says she likes the Jeep, but doesn't like driving it. I do enjoy driving the Jeep (often more), but understand and must concede her preference for the car.

Any 15 tire over 29" tall is gonna be an LT. And there are many more tires available in 285/75/16 (which are all LTs or at least have a 116 load index) than 33X10.50-15. Some 33s are shorter than even a 265/75/16.

XJBRIAN I'm going to go with a Garmin Nuvi.

Looking at these tires. Read good things about them on other forums.

They are available in a 33x10.50

http://ok4wd.com/bfgoodrich-mud-terrain-t-a-km2-33x10-50r15-c-114q.html

All-terrain's are considered more desirable than muds for overlanding. More general purpose overall tread design, better traction in adverse weather, more comfortable, and they tend to last longer.

That being said, BFG's are well renown in the expo community. I would suggest the a/t ko over the km2.

One of the things I'm doing with mine is trying to stay with all original style parts. My theroy is. If we're on a cross country trip and something fails I should be able to walk into any parts store, Kragens, autozone, etc and get parts. I don't want to be stuck somewhere waiting for a Fedex truck to deliver an aftermarket part I can only get online.

With the kind of trip you are taking, I would suggest getting a 2m radio setup as well. Of course carry a cell phone and let your family know the planned route to take because you just never know what can happen. Make sure you have spare parts, lots of them. A good set of tires goes a long way. I drive my Jeep everyday so I am overly cautious on the trail because its my only vehicle(for a couple more hours anyways :D), So exercise caution and don't do anything too stupid. Sounds like this will be a cool adventure for you.

Thanks to all for the input.

I ordered my winch bumper and will do that install, as well as some trippy wiring, next month. I'll post a build thread with pics as soon as I have something worth showing.

The plans for the month of Sept are:
Wiring (really excited about this part)
Winch bumper
Winch (Warn vr8000 $479.00 at WinchDepot)

Rear bumper and tire carrier This is going to be a home brew bumper that is tied into the Class 3 hitch.

Again

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

I'm interested to see this build, you are thinking somewhat along the same lines as me, although I expect to spend more time on rock and sand because much of what I want to "expedition" to see is in the desert SW.

Also, would you post up pics and your thoughts on the Karnage bumper (and the company/cust serv) when you get it? I asked about those guys on NC4x4 when I saw their product on ebay, and the responses I got were not exactly encouraging.

I'd also add that, if you are wanting an extra layer of comfort for the long haul, if you are planning on doing any interior upgrades, you might wanna look to put in some sound deadening insulation. It will help when the days are long and the tires noise droning in your ears put you in a semi hypnotic state in which your dad could get all of your banking information out of you :p, it will also add a layer of insulation and help with heating/cooling needs.

Back