• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

summer is a killer

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks i know a lot of you will think i'm just a A-HOLE and thats fine but i would like you all to read this. These folks didn't think about stuff before they set off on there trip in the DESERT. Now this was the HIGH DESERT which was cooler than my LOW DESERT. It didn't take long at all for these folks to die from the heat. How many of us go out by ourselfs and don't think twice about it? I know i did it all the time, but i got smart and now the wife has a jeep in case we can't find anybody to run with us.

BE SAFE FOLKS. The season is coming, it's just around the corner.
http://www.mydesert.com/article/201...s-Joshua-Tree-National-Park-?odyssey=nav|head

Thank you for your time
SO CAL DESERT RATS.
:D

My neighbor is head of search and rescue for San Bernardino county and the horror stories he has have definately scared some good outdoor common sense into me. It's amazing the dangerous situations people constantly put themselves in and how often they can be so easily avoided. This article is a great reminder of that.

“Exposure deaths like this are really pretty rare,” park spokesman Joe Zarki said.

“Exposure deaths like this are really pretty rare,” park spokesman Joe Zarki said.

It does seem a bit odd that they both could die in 5-7 hours....

I realize 106* is :flame:, but you'd think they would have lasted a little longer...

Rule of threes? 3 days without water...

I don't think all the facts are in.

It does seem a bit odd that they both could die in 5-7 hours....

I realize 106* is :flame:, but you'd think they would have lasted a little longer...

Rule of threes? 3 days without water...

I don't think all the facts are in.

I would ASSume they went out there already dehydrated from the night before.

I would ASSume they went out there already dehydrated from the night before.

Who knows... The empty water bottles in the car could have been from anytime in the past (days or weeks).....

Re my last post, the second rule of 3's is 3 hours of exposure. So I guess it's totally feasible if there was no shade around for miles.

100% agree here. Each of us can decide for themselves what to do, of course, but you’ll never find me out there alone, and the sweetie and I always bring more water than we think we’ll use.

This is natural selection in effect.

Sounds like the former UFC middleweight champ, Evan Tanner who died of exposure up here a few years back. Went out without enough fuel in his bike, or water with him. When his bike ran out of gas, his friends offered to come get him, he decided just to walk to where he thought there was supposed to be a spring. He made it a couple miles.

People don't respect the desert, they don't understand what the heat can do. The Marine Corps shuts down physical activity when temps reach a certain point, and those temps do happen up here more than you'd think.

I just want people to know it doesn't take long, thats all. I would hate to see folks from here go out and this happen to them.I always have lots of water and food with me when we go out.There is NO SHADE at all out there.This place is flat open land.
Just given you all a heads up, the desert will kill you fast.

A friend of mine in SAR recommends bringing as much water as you can carry, bring a minimum of food because we can go for days or weeks without food, but only a matter of hours without water. Also, don't save your water to make it last longer. Drink it. Especially if you're thirsty, drink it. If you're thirsty, it's already almost too late.

Having been on this road a dozen or so times (once broken down) I probably would have lit the spare/back seat on fire, maybe the whole damn car... stayed with the car... waited till dark... I also would have been a little better prepared... while remote... it does see traffic & service personnel... bad news.

Curt

I always tell people where I'm going. That way, if I don't show up the night I say I'll be back I hope they notify the authorities and come looking. Not necessarily my exact route, but at least the area so they know where to look!
Got a HAM radio as well (Still need to take the test). Some people go so far as to take a SPOT device, but at $100/mo I hope they go out to desolate areas every weekend.

I always tell people where I'm going. That way, if I don't show up the night I say I'll be back I hope they notify the authorities and come looking. Not necessarily my exact route, but at least the area so they know where to look!
Got a HAM radio as well (Still need to take the test). Some people go so far as to take a SPOT device, but at $100/mo I hope they go out to desolate areas every weekend.

$100/mo ?

FAIL

The SPOT service is $100/year and the messaging feature is another $50/year.

You can get a Gen1 spot for about $50. A smaller, newer Gen2 is about $100.
Buy used...CL and Expo has them for sale every once in a while at a discount used
If I am able to get 5 or more pre sales I can get a killer deal on the spot.

I just put a new first aid kit in my jeep with 2 days emergency water.

I still take 5 + gallons when I am headed to somewhere remote and hot.

Sept. 2011 JP Mag. "How to Survive"... they probably weren't JP readers...

Curt

Back