• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lt's Eff One Fiddy

fireLt.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey blue oval fans (I know there is one or two of ya in here) I did some trading with my folks and ended up with their 2005 F150. They wanted my 2k dually diesel to tow the fifth wheel they will be getting soon. Since I have got a divorce, sold the camper, and travel the highways more, it was a win for all of us. It will still haul the Jeep the few times a year I trailer it, much slower I'm sure.
Specs
2005 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
5.4L Triton
Stock as stock can be, looks like every other F150
60K miles on the ticker

So being that my Mom drove this truck it needs to have some upgrades to make it look like something I would drive.

Plans
MBRP exhaust is ordered so maybe I can at least hear this thing running!
Bilstein 5150's all the way around to stiffen the ride and level the front 2"
Wheels, black wheels I scored off Craigslist. I'm not a fan of chrome!
Eventually I would like to do the Roush Supercharger kit for the 500 ft. lbs torque.

No pics yet. You all gotta wait til I can take some!

These are the wheels and tires. Brand new Blizzak snow tires on Ultra Wheels. Scored them for $700.
Wheels.jpg

If it all goes well I hope to enter it in the ROTM next month.

LOL. I'll join the blue oval lovers here shortly with a thread on my '79 F250++ highboy! Sorry and congrats (you get to choose), on the divorce, Kev, but thumbs up on the positive attitude! :thumbup:

Thanks Chris. I have a 78 F150 that's just waiting to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. The dentsdies are my favorite truck Ford ever built. Good score for you! Us blue oval guys gotta stick together in here. I'm sure Troy will stop by and spew some kind jealous hatred towards all things Ford. Maybe I'll put a roof rack on this truck..that might be enough to give him a one way trip to the special hospital in Pueblo...

that's better than the hospital in Trinidad... ya know, for the bromance.

Sure pics of the wheels and not the truck. Great. way to leave us hanging. They mounted up yet? GSD!!!

:D

Phrickin' Phords........ :puke:

:moon:

I can't believe you are still driving your mommy's car.:gee:

Those tires are one goood deal !!.
I just saw a set of wheels and tires like those at Discount Tires, on sale for $1850.

I think a gasoline engines in light trucks cost less to operate. Maintenance on my oil burner is a lot higher than I thought would be. ( Think of the cost of putting 6 tires on your 1 ton.)

I don't how much of a difference there is between a 2000 5.4L Triton F-150 and 2005 in regards to suspension, brakes, transmission, and power. I do know that after using my friend's F-150 to tow my Jeep up past Fort Collins I'll never ask to borrow his truck again. My 5.3L Silverado did a lot better job than that pile.

I don't how much of a difference there is between a 2000 5.4L Triton F-150 and 2005 in regards to suspension, brakes, transmission, and power. I do know that after using my friend's F-150 to tow my Jeep up past Fort Collins I'll never ask to borrow his truck again. My 5.3L Silverado did a lot better job than that pile.

It's funny how people always seem to remember bad experiences versus good. A biased frame of mind will always find fault with something! I am a Ford guy through and through though I can say that I have driven other makes that were quite nice. I too seem to remember the bad experiences versus the good ones when it comes to other makes. I hate to break it to you Bowtie lovers but from what I have seen there are many more Fords on the road than Cheys or Dodges! You might love your Chevy truck but overall more people drive Fords....... :D

Stock form as I got it.
IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

With the new wheels. Still need to get the leveling kit on and next Summer I will up the tire size a little.
IMG_2155.jpg

So far I'm loving this truck. 20 mpg on the highway and rides like a dream. Will it tow like my F350 did? Hell no, but for the 6 or so times a year I actually get to tow it will do fine. I'm going to add air bags to the rear suspension to help with the load. You just have to respect the fact it's a half ton.
Yes Rick, It is cheaper to operate for sure. The 350 was necessary with the camper but now that it's gone this 150 is way more practicle. Even my insurance was less on this truck.
Exhaust is on and it's perfect. Just enough to know it has a V8 but not so loud it gets annoying on the road.
I have had several F series trucks over the years and they have all been great trucks.

Nice ride :thumbup::thumbup:

Jim's just jealous of stomper's inner beauty, and ability to run over large objects, like old folks homes. ;)

It's funny how people always seem to remember bad experiences versus good. A biased frame of mind will always find fault with something! I am a Ford guy through and through though I can say that I have driven other makes that were quite nice. I too seem to remember the bad experiences versus the good ones when it comes to other makes. I hate to break it to you Bowtie lovers but from what I have seen there are many more Fords on the road than Cheys or Dodges! You might love your Chevy truck but overall more people drive Fords....... :D

I used the F-150 2 weeks ago and my old Silverado a couple of weeks before that. It's about as close as you cam get to a side by side comparison. Both trucks are 2000 extended cab short box 4wd's and I used the same trailer to tow my same jeep.

When it comes to 1/2 ton trucks I do typically prefer GM over ford or dodge, but I own a Ford diesel and prefer them over the other 2. I wasn't commenting in any way for or against Ford or Chevy when I made my statement. Bottom line was the 5.3 powered Silverado did a noticeably better job towing my Jeep than the 5.4 powered F-150. I've used a same year dodge before too and again the Silverado was an over all better performer.

More people drive Kia's than Cadillacs or Lincolns, does that mean Kia makes the better car?

Back