• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How loud should the AC compressor be?

DerMeister

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I recently got a new AC compressor and a new accumulator. Then it was vacuumed and charged, as well as oiled.

Now the clutch engages, and the compressor seems to cycle properly, however it is somewhat loud when accelerating at lower speeds.

Its basically just a whirring noise. Hasn't gotten worse, or better over 2 months.

Is this normal?

How loud is the whirring? My old Sanden unit made some whirring sounds when it was running, but they were really only audible while standing directly in front of the vehicle or with the hood up.

That being said, my replacement compressor I recently installed is quiet as all hell, and the clutch makes a clean "click" sound when engaging rather than the "clunk" from before.

Enough to be annoying and worry me.

At idle, one all settings where the compressor should engage, it will constantly be engaged. At max, at low, and on defrost with heat. At idle the compressor runs 100% of the time.

If it is any significance I decided to watch the compressor at 2000rpms.

The clutch would engage and run for 4 seconds, then disengage for 4 seconds and it kept doing that. It was on max and the recirculation mode.

The AC blows cold enough and it seems to be holding the charge. Tt could be colder, as it only really blows cold enough on the recirculation mode. One hose is cold, and one hose is hot coming off the compressor.

My main problem is the whirring and the lack of cycling at idle.

Last edited:
Back