• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Questions

kevermt

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 8.8 out of a 96 Exploder. There was no tag on the cover to I.D. the gear ratio but I think its a 3.73. I was hoping it was a 4.10 but it is in decent shape for $150 so I bought it.

Which models have limited slips?
Would I need to change the carrier to get into deeper gears?
Whats the best way to identify the gear ratio?

Thanks

Thanks Gonepostal.

Hey Redheap, try a Naxja search w/ Ford 8.8 swap, explorer 8.8 swap and see what ya get.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh-snap.jpg

lol.

on some gear sets, they stamp the ratio on the outside radial face of the gears, pop'er open, and find out.

"The number of teeth on the ring gear divided by the number of teeth on the pinion gear equals the gear ratio. The tooth counts will also often be stamped in to the side of the ring gear. For example, a 3.07 gear set will be stamped "43 14"."

Did I say search NAXJA? No.

You asked 3 questions that have nothing to do with cherokees. I've done an 8.8 swap and I know how difficult it is to find information on a 3 letter word in a NAXJA search. If you actually find some of those threads, you might even find that I'm rather helpful when you ask questions about an actual install in a XJ.

But if you want to know how to figure out the gear ratio of an axle, the carrier break of said axle and whether or not it has an LSD, then do a google search on that axle. You'd be surprised at what you might learn.

Teach yourself something before you ask other people to spoon feed it to you.

And try to be a little respectful, I still think there's some rules here.

Is that how you answer everyone's questions? Because you can find out just about anything w/ the Google machine. What is the point of vehicle specific clubs or websites if someone is told to "Just Google it, moron".

I think you should be a little more respectful and answer my question w/out insulting my lack of googleness.

I THINK you should go count the teeth like i told you, sitting here arguing isnt figuring out your gear ratio.

the truth is, this is an easy problem, if you cant figure it out all alone, youre in for trouble....

Oh jesus I will answer your questions
1)Open the diff cover, if you don't see a LSD it doens't have one
2)no carrier break on a 8.8, all ratios use the same carrier (carrier breaks are not common in ford axles)
3)will be stamped on gearset or count teeth as already instructed.

Which models have limited slips?
some do. some don't. "96 exploder" isn't enough info. open it up and look. If you aren't going to put a locker in it, you can always do the "turn one axleshaft and see if the other one turns the same way or the opposite way" test, but this will only detect whether it's locked or not, not why (spooled? welded? autolocker? LSD?), and may miss an LSD if it's badly worn.

Would I need to change the carrier to get into deeper gears?
www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ford+8.8+carrier+break

Whats the best way to identify the gear ratio?
www.lmgtfy.com/?q=identify+gear+ratio

You're welcome! :wave: I hope this answered all your questions.

Back