• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RADesigns shifter install on a RENIX

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i won this from Rory @ RADesigns awhile ago, now that i have installed it. i dont know why i waited so long... this thing is so cool. i drove around all day for no reason just to shift it!! it was really fun.

so here goes the install

this is the way i installed the RAD shifter in my RENIX cherokee

this in my rail shifter (its the older version)

a5f09b89.jpg

116b3a37.jpg

this is the same as the new ones, three wires

7e188eda.jpg

i wanted to keep my auto and use the shifter, so i went to napa to get 2 switches. (i could have got them from Rory, but i woke up today and wanted to get it done)

this TG6261 is a ON-ON 3 post (no off, theres no need)
d39de0cc.jpg

the wires i will be talking about. black w/ white line, blue w/ white, purple w/ white i got from the TCU wiring which i will go over as we get there

for the TC lock up. 12v power wire to one side (to a key on power), center wire to the trans (black wire with white line), other side is from the TCU (the other end of the black wire w/white line)

4386815b.jpg

this way the ON-ON switch will be in auto lock (controlled by the TCU) or locked (12v power)

this TG6064 is a double throw ON-ON 6 pole switch (no need for OFF)
9597043d.jpg

the 2 poles on one side come from the shifter blue and yellow, the 2 in the middle are to the trans blue w/white and purple w/white wires, the last 2 poles are from the TCU blue w/white and purple w/white

keep the same color wires of the same left and right side of the switch
for me
left side: blue (from the shifter)on one end , blue w/white (in the middle) to the trans, blue w/white (on the other side) from the TCU
right side: yellow (from the shifter)on one end , purple w/white (in the middle) to the trans, purple w/white (on the other side) from the TCU

this way the switch will be ether auto or manual ( this is why you dont get a on-off-on switch)

i cut the 3 wires (blue w/white,purple w/white, black w/white)
you need all 6 ( 4 to the 6pole switch, 2 to the 3 pole)

dd837b5a.jpg

0644848b.jpg

all clean

after you find a key on 12V to use ( i used an open port on my fuse panel with an inline fuse 10amp is what im using) to run to the TC lock up (3pole switch) and to the Red wire on the rail shifter ( i ran one wire to the switch then piggy backed to the rail shifter) your done. just find a good place to put it all.

1f073b78.jpg

7d873c8f.jpg

a70e8f90.jpg

9b02f975.jpg

i installed my shifter in the park brake area so i would not have to lean forward to shift. the 2 switches by the factory shifter are shifter on-off and TC lock on-off

the TC lock up is cool. locking the TC at 40MPH is so nice i cat wait t see what kind of MPG i can make my jeep get!

Rory has such good customer service, i called and talked to him 3 time on a Sunday. how meany aftermarket manufactures can you call and talk to on a Sunday?? i have not found any others yet...

i cant wait to take it out this weekend and hold 1st in low with my 4:1 in 2low

i hear 2nd gear starts are cool!!

Thank you Rory, NAXJA supporter!
http://radesignsproducts.com/default.aspx

Re: RADesigns shifter install on a RENEX

Hey, glad to see this installed, after all the harassing you got at NWFest this year. Great write up, I'll have to post a link on my website to this if you don't mind. And as far as Tech service on Sunday I would have answered the first time you called but I was in Church like every Sunday morning. I tell people if I'm free I'll answer, if I don't on the weekends I'm busy and will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again for the great write up.

Re: RADesigns shifter install on a RENEX

Rory, any progress on your Chrysler RE trans setups? Would love to have something for my 46re!

Just got back from a trip to TFS ( where we wheel )
cf31c1ee.jpg

This rail shifter is so nice, in low being able to hold 1st is so nice.
Keeping my wheel speed down and less strain on the motor and trans because it's NOT in 2nd!

Shifting on the road from trail to trail is nice keeping the RPMs down keeping it in 3rd.

Normally we have to get gas onece on a weekend trip.
We filled up at home, drove down, wheeled, and came home on less then one tank ( we still have a little over 1/4)

Locking the TC and keeping it from down shifting when I don't want it to or down shifting with out flooring it to get it to.

I think it saved my over all MPG!

We will see next tank, ill update

Back