• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in 4LOW after high centering a log jam

metrohick

NAXJA Forum User
Before I go under my XJ yet again I wanted to blast off a thread for the possible culprits for my 231 SYE being stuck in 4low

I got her out there today for the first time after a 3 month wrenching hiatus I was doing off the home front on a hill at my buds house.(wife n neighbors hating on my rigs at an all time high these days :rolleyes:)

I will never shore up a rig and do stiffeners and other suspension work on a hill again...

That said, today I rolled onto a new area with all that new construction excavator phase stuff going on and I had a ricer enthusiast riding shotgun.

He's nvr wheeled and when I told him to gtfo in the midst of a soft washed out descent he was like HUH? I wanted footage from outside the rig. Inside footage on a cell phone is almost always lame. So he got a few good vids of the XJ b4 we got high centered on some logs for like 45 minutes:looser:.

Anyways, prior to the failed bunny hopping I was barely able to keep the tcase in 4low and now its stuck in that gear.

I have the TNT LCA set up so it wasn't hit with anything except on the right arm adjustable nut area. I also have the Novak shift linkage kit so that will need a look definitely. It sounds like a cooked output shaft bearing IMHO. My SYE is an AA set up and I'd hope its not on that end. THe HP30 has all new internals and a True Trac LSD currently so....

I'm not a fan of chain driven tcases and I'm just wondering what you guys would look for initially b4 I go ape and crack everything open. Thoughts?

After the stiffies and the 6.5 lift that XJ rig was feeling gooooood; like better than the CJ gooooooood!

Its gonna be more than linkage as those marbles in the diffs are sure to be gone after doing 35 -40 mph in 4 low to get home.

Well I got $ on more than the linkage and if I'm wrong I'll roll a dutch with tranny fluid as that will be the next peanut gallery commentary. By all means don't hold back. Bring it especially the web wheelers...

Im a CJ guy and my 300's never got shit from anything I hit high low or sideways. Price of being frameless? Thats what my YJ boys say, always hating on the frameless 4 door that makes it look ez

I got a bad shaft bearing from axle wrap in my SOA CJ thats all; and thats what this sounds like when I decelerate...I hope its just the Novak linkage.

I was only high when I built it the first time, this is now the third time for the suspension. Gettin a feel for these now:yelclap:

Why didn't you try to manually shift it before you drove home on it?

I figured it out. You're not high you just type like my 12 yr old sister txts. That stuff it hard read, ya know?

If after checking the linkage for proper adjustment and it still doesn't shift out of 4LO; then I would suggest that you disconnect the linkage from the shifting shaft and attempt to manually shift it with a crescent wrench. If it does shift; then you definitely know it is a linkage adjustment.
From your description I cannot tell if you drove the Jeep on pavement during this time, but if you did... the transfercase could be bound up...
Might try to jack up the front end off the ground, place the transmission in neutral and try shifting the tcase out of gear.

hard read LOL

Thx fellas.... I usually need subtitles @ speaking engagements too!

So should I do this work with a collared shirt or just a ratty ass Tee?

fyi I'm really more mature than 12.... I'm @ least 14 by most counts.

I drove it on the street b/c I had a auto zone kid with me about to get fired n time was of the essence. +10 bonehead pts

So she made it 2 days without being on the stands...wife is gonna love to see the stands again:shiver:

Back