• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting the 8.25 to ABS?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for lockers and re-gearing. Which means I'm also in the market for a new rear. Currently have a non-c-clip 35, and would like to swap in an 8.25 for simplicity's sake. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but it's hard searching on here when the search function doesn't recognize numbers.

-Has anyone done it?

-Any good threads floating around that are already packed with the right tech info?

-I know it's possible so don't just tell me ABS sucks and to disable it. It's saved my ass too many times.

I found this on JeepsUnlimited, but there's no info on how much was machined off the shafts or the ring, that sort of stuff.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406708

-I know it's possible so don't just tell me ABS sucks and to disable it. It's saved my ass too many times.

ABS sucks... disable it lmao... honestly if you downshift (even with an auto) you can still stop pretty short. i would imagine that it requires too much work to make the 8.25 have ABS...

Pretty short doesn't cut it sometimes...
13743_1190431160657_1224690246_30671052_381503_n.jpg

People who hate on ABS haven't had it legitimately save their car before. It does have it's downsides but it's staying on the vehicle.

The Dana 35 has a 4 sensor system, with tone rings on each wheel. The 8.25's that came with ABS (YES - they did) use one inside the diff.

Pretty short doesn't cut it sometimes...

People who hate on ABS haven't had it legitimately save their car before. It does have it's downsides but it's staying on the vehicle.

looks like someone was following too closely on wet roads... ABS blows, get rid of it. the ABS systems in jeeps are real iffy. if the OP has one of those randomly good ones, messing with the system will turn it into all of the other "it put me in a gravel ditch" crowd. and btw, how you know that jeep had ABS in the pic?

I lost the link to a study I used to have saved. But the end results were that ABS will cause you to stop significantly longer, but requires less skill to execute a controlled emergency stop. The fastest way to stop a car is by locking it up, but an unskilled driver may not be able to control a skid. I don't personally like them, my Cherokee has no ABS, but my NEW F-150 does and I have to admit that the systems have gotten MUCH better over the years. The older jeep ABS systems were pretty primative.

I lost the link to a study I used to have saved. But the end results were that ABS will cause you to stop significantly longer, but requires less skill to execute a controlled emergency stop. The fastest way to stop a car is by locking it up, but an unskilled driver may not be able to control a skid. I don't personally like them, my Cherokee has no ABS, but my NEW F-150 does and I have to admit that the systems have gotten MUCH better over the years. The older jeep ABS systems were pretty primative.

on dry pavement yes. on slick roads, lockin the wheels are horrid for stopping distance.

Grab a ABS 8.25 from a liberty and throw some spring perches on it. It will be a tad wider I believe but you will get disc brakes out of the swap.

if you look at the link the OP posted, the ABS for a XJ is a 4 sensor system. any 8.25 with ABS has one sensor in the in the diff. hence the machining and putting tone wheels on the axle.

I have no idea about the early pre 96 ABS system but I like the ABS in my 99XJ.

I used a thread written by fyrfytr1717. I moved the ABS sensors and tone rings from my Dana 35 to my Dana 44. I am very pleased with the results. This thread may not help with the 8.25 but it would if you decide to go to a Dana 44.

Thread is here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

^^^ yeah was gonna say adding ABS to an XJ 44 would probably be easier.

In the incident shown above, I was not following too closely. Essentially a lady stopped short at a green light where the speed limit is 45. The bus hit the car, and I hit the bus. Three lane road with cars on both sides, there's nothing your can do but pump the brakes and pray. Neither worked in this situation. Yes, it was raining.

You guys can try your "brake pumping method" all you want in the rain, snow, or ice. Good luck.

How do I know the cherokee in the pic had ABS? It didn't. And I know because it was mine. Like I said in the first post, please keep your opinionated bitching out of here unless you have some tech related material to go along with it. This thread is about swapping a system onto an axle that doesn't have it. Not whether ABS is good, sucks, or put someone in a ditch.

With all due respect - anytime you rear end something that is technically "following too closely".

In the incident shown above, I was not following too closely. Essentially a lady stopped short at a green light where the speed limit is 45. The bus hit the car, and I hit the bus. Three lane road with cars on both sides, there's nothing your can do but pump the brakes and pray. Neither worked in this situation. Yes, it was raining.

if you werent following too closely, you wouldnt have hit... ABS wouldnt have helped you.

You guys can try your "brake pumping method" all you want in the rain, snow, or ice. Good luck.

read my little how to on hazardous road driving below

How do I know the cherokee in the pic had ABS? It didn't. And I know because it was mine. Like I said in the first post, please keep your opinionated bitching out of here unless you have some tech related material to go along with it. This thread is about swapping a system onto an axle that doesn't have it. Not whether ABS is good, sucks, or put someone in a ditch.

putting larger tires on a stock braking system drastically reduces brake performance. theres some tech for you. and if you dont have ABS, you do a little thing called downshifting (autos can do it too) saved my ass plenty of times in the rain and the winter (i get the same ones you do) on bald ass tires

pretty much, this is how i see your reaction. you come to NAXJA with a question, NAXJA answers it, but not how you like it. NAXJA is based upon people with experience. If 99% of the people on NAXJA say its a bad idea, well guess what, its probably a bad idea. Trying to mod a system that works maybe 90% of the time in the vehicles it was applied to is spelling disaster. you wont be the guy in the ditch, you will be the guy that skids out of control because he relies too much on outdated system that was scrapped. The only good i see of this is bragging rights, with the whole "hey guys i got an 8.25 with abs in my xj" but then everyone will say, "why would you waste your time?"

pretty much, dont act like a baby when you dont get the answer for what you want. NAXJA is powered by the populous, so it goes in the direction of the majority. majority hates ABS. too bad so sad. move on. :lecture:

that falls within the 1% i was talking about. just because you found one thread on it where people say the same things, does not make it a good idea. hasta

Hey jackbob. Read the_weirdo's signature. Chill out bro.

Naxja did not answer my question. 99% of the people may say it's a bad idea, but from what I've found from my years of broswing Naxja, the 1% that disagree are usually a lot smarter than the 99% that agree with each other. And their opinion's outweight the majority tenfold. Talyn, UrbanYan, Cal, GrimmJeeper, Gradon, Boostwerks, Child9, Ehall, Dr. Dyno, these are all guys that go out of their way, research, experiment, step back from the ordinary and actually have credible real world advice to give back to the community. And have proven the majority bandwagon members wrong plenty of times.

Majority hates ABS? Could care less. People get way too butthurt on here. Back on topic. Anyone with some tech that isn't a smartass defensive response feel free to chime in :) In the meantime I'll PM Talyn.

Back