• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Camber issues after lift

MunkMaster

NAXJA Forum User
ok here is the back story
96 jeep cherokee

had a 2 inch budget boost on the truck for acouple of years. alignment was fine. just put a RC 4.5 inch lift on the truck. adjustable control arms upper and lower. new coil springs new leaf packs adjustable track bar new shocks

my camber is effed.

i set the upper control arms at 15 inches and the lower at 16.5

full sye kit no vibrations. put the front driveshaft on now have vibrations.
i am going to check out the front shaft tommorrow afterwork.

its pooring down rain right now and i left alignment measurements in the truck i will post them up tommorrow

any ideas where i went wrong

the ball joints are good. nothing appears visually bent and i set the control arms up to what the instructions said.

thanks for all the help

sounds like possibly pinion angle. and its caster. camber is not easily adjustable on a solid axle

Your camber will be off as a result of the caster being changed. The only way to correct this for stock like handling is to cut and rotate the "c"s. If you don't want to do that you will just have to find the best compromise between pinion angle and alignment.

post the readings.... there would not be a difference in camber after lift with solid housing, with caster changing after lift the camber would not change enough to cause tire wear or handeling issues if change at all.

post the readings.... there would not be a difference in camber after lift with solid housing, with caster changing after lift the camber would not change enough to cause tire wear or handeling issues if change at all.
Any change in caster will result in a change in camber as compared to the ground. The steering ackerman angle is changed also causing different handling characteristics when turning.

Sounds like u need to adjust ur control arms to correct ur caster and pinion angles.

This.

Don't follow measurements in instructions or on the forum. Only use them as a starting point. Once you got everything together, measure and then adjust the arms to achieve a good pinion and caster angle. Try to get the pinion angle happy (close to parallel with the shaft) and live with the caster that's given.

x3 you need your control arms adjusted. You will also have to balance caster and pinion angle. Don't go off measurements you see on a website. I recommend getting an angle finder and setting the pinion angle yourself and see how it changes things. Then take it to an alignment shop for fine tuning if necessary. You will have to tell them how to adjust the caster if necessary as they usually won't touch that part.

Also, check the drive shaft for wear. U-joints, double cardan joint, and the slip shaft. Changing the pinion angle could make an issue that wasn't visible previously come out.

Wrong. Do you know a damned thing about what you reply? You have been dead to rights wrong about everything. :explosion

Back