• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vent idea?!

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
I think I'm going to try and do this tomorrow. I saw this done on a black xj and really liked the design so I'm gonna run with it. And as far as rain I'm gonna get some of that magnet stuff that u can put over house vents and cut it to where it will cover it when it rains
4b529ca6-6cad-0031.jpg

In my opinion you really dont need to cover it up when it rains. I have had water up to my hood multiple times. You way want to go through electrical connectors and add some dielectric grease, but Ive never had issues. Heck I power wash my engine bay once in a while.

you can go to the junk yard and get some hood vents off of a dodge sprint (I think thats the one maybe). they look good on there.

IDK, I think I'd move the vents outboard toward the edges. I have a horrible heatsoak problem with my 01 with the vents directly over the intake/exhaust manifolds. It seems to encourage the heat from the manifold over the intake and fuel rail. I think moving them outboard would accomplish the same thing, but move the heat away from the engine.

-Ron

That looks great, good job.

I used the vents from the front of the hood on a 3rd gen transam. Parked them right up front. At slow speeds there is actually an updraft that is formed right there. So around town it has the effect of pulling the air out from behind the radiator. I like them, it looks different than the rest of those out there.

I just cut the right sized holes and slid them in. I think that when I get a little time I will cut the pieces out of the donor hood and weld those into my hood, so they fit flush.

IDK, I think I'd move the vents outboard toward the edges. I have a horrible heatsoak problem with my 01 with the vents directly over the intake/exhaust manifolds. It seems to encourage the heat from the manifold over the intake and fuel rail. I think moving them outboard would accomplish the same thing, but move the heat away from the engine.

-Ron

I had the heat soak B.S. on my 01 for years. Tried vents and nothing. The only way I managed to fix it was install a fan mod that kept the fan running after the jeep was shut off. It runs for about 2.5 minutes by a push of a button and I haven't had the heat soak since.

This is what I did today. 9 inches long 6 inches wide at top. This should help. :D

aefe2437-8dbf-7ec7.jpg
aefe2437-8dd7-aee6.jpg

Cool, you going to try to get rid of those seems?

I used the vents from the front of the hood on a 3rd gen transam. Parked them right up front. At slow speeds there is actually an updraft that is formed right there. So around town it has the effect of pulling the air out from behind the radiator. I like them, it looks different than the rest of those out there.

I just cut the right sized holes and slid them in. I think that when I get a little time I will cut the pieces out of the donor hood and weld those into my hood, so they fit flush.

Pics??

Back