• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's my fuel pump O-ring go?

ECUDove

NAXJA Forum User
Haha. I am replacing the fuel pump and can't remember where my o-ring goes.

Is it gas tank > o-ring > fuel pump > locking ring

Or is it gas tank > fuel pump > o-ring > locking ring?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've tried both combos and am having trouble. Before forcing the issue I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks, and sorry for the lame-o post.

Gas tank > o-ring > fuel pump > locking ring. The o-ring seals the pump to the tank.

Danka, I was 86% sure that's how it went... now I'm just haveing problems making that combo work. A la Happy Gilmore "my fingers hurt"

Any recommendations on making this work? Inside tricks?

Good good, no explosion, go it.

I guess I feel that the O-ring is too thick:) I gotta man-up, do some P90X and try harder to make the seal.

Signed,
Big-fat-wuss

A new O-ring can be very hard to compress, especially if the tangs on the lock ring are blunt. It helps to lube everything with something like vaseline or light grease, and also to sharpen the leading edges of the lock ring where they are sort of half-heartedly sharpened. It can be a real bear to get all the tabs to engage at the same time, but usually there will be a slight difference in the tabs, enough so that one will engage before the others, and you can use that to your advantage.

The o-ring is tough, as I just did this on mine. I had to use a knife and re-sculpt the threads on the locking ring so it engaged when screwed on, but the main issue is getting the fuel pump to "pop" down and sit flush on top of the mount on top of the fuel tank. If it is up 1/8" or so, the lock ring will not engage and you cannot use the lock ring to compress the o-ring seal down. The fuel pump must sit down flush on the mounting hole on the top of the tank.

the o-rings that come with most pumps these days seam to be square edged which makes them a real pain. I would go and get the original style round edged o-ring.

Back